Chapter 24

"Why would I be afraid of you, Bella?" George snorted sarcastically. "You're a princess. Not literally, but. You know."

"I was hoping that fall of yours had knocked some sense into you. Obviously not." I said coldly, picking up my jacket and pushing the chair away.

"Wait." I felt George's hand grab mine. "Dont go. I can't do this on my own." His eyes were full of sorrow and pleading, desperation for someone, anyone to be there for him.

"I need to think." I shook him off.

"Please." His voice came out strangled and high pitched. "Bella dont go. If you loved me like you said you wouldnt leave me. Dont be like everyone else. Dont leave me."

I turned to face him again, and my heart shattered. He had tears streaming down his cheeks, his eyes wet and his eyelashes drenched.

"I won't." I had to fight my own tears now. "But you need to trust me when I say I'll be back. Can you do that for me?"

George held my fingers tight. I counted the beats on his heart monitor in my head, watching the needle in his arm twitch. He nodded slowly, letting go of my fingers one by one.

As soon as my hand touched the metal on the handle, the beeps picked up pace. "Please come back, you've got to promise me." George begged, rubbing his chest.

"I promise." I smiled weakly. "I will be back soon. Trust me."

And with my promise bouncing around in my skull, I shut the door on him and walked away.