Chapter 26

"Yeah.. hero." I sighed, rubbing my tired eyes. This was all so wrong. "Look, Danielle, you seem like a lovely lady and I'm very sorry what happened to William but I really have to go."

I stood up and wrapped my jacket around myself, ignoring her sweet goodbye and hating myself. If only I hadn't gone on that date, if only I had admitted that I was gut wrenchingly terrified of George instead of letting him shoot a bike.

What had I done?

"I'm not even myself anymore." I whispered, wiping the tears from my eyes. "I've turned bad, bad bad bad. Ow." I winced as my forehead came into contact with the glass door. I could almost feel everyone in the waiting room laughing at me. I didn't care anymore, I had to see my mum before she had a panic attack, and then I had to visit Adam, Russel, Tyler and John and tell them about George and his psychotic behavior. Not that what he did would surprise any of them.

The air was cold as I stepped outside of the hospital, winding my way through the cars parked in the lot.

"Ugh, for God's sake." I grumbled. "No car, I completey forgot. Suppose I'll have to walk."

***********************************

I had been walking for a staggering three and a half hours before I reached the road where George had shot the cyclist down just a few hours ago. I stared down at the road, my head pounding. There was still bits of leather torn on the road, bits of ripped rubber and shredded metal.

I had to put my hand over my mouth and turn away, bending over, my stomach twisting into knots. I couldn't bear to look at the damage that I had caused.

The trees seemed to bend over towards me as I walked through the dense forest. I had never felt more self concious. Branches scratched at my face, my neck and arms. This was natures way of beating me up. It was working.

"Blimey Bella." Tyler whistled as I stumbled through the door. "You look like someone dragged a rake down you. What happened?"

Russel stepped out of the living room, exhaling smoke from his cigarette. "You ok Bells?"

I didn't have the strength to correct him. "George.. hospital."

Russel dropped his cigarette on the wooden floor in surprise, before bobbing down to retrieve it. "Why the hell is he in hospital?!"

I sighed. "He found me again, then he wanted to show me why I should be afraid so..so.." my voice trailed off, and a lump formed in my throat.

"Did he hurt you?" Tyler asked sternly.

"No!" I yelled. "He went crazy and shot a bike down then passed out and now he's in hospital with a heart murmur hooked up to a monitor and a drip in his arm." I panted for breath, rubbing my chest. Russel put his arm around my back and hugged me close to him. "Then he cried because he thought I was walking out of his life forever because he thinks I'm angry with what he's done."

"And are you angry?"

"No. Well, yes, but no. If I had just said I was afraid of him instead of denying it, he wouldnt have shot William off his bike and maybe the whole day would be different!"

"Bella, you're not to blame. Please dont think you are."

"It's so hard.." I mumbled.

William could die. And it's all my fault..