Chapter 13

The room was quite bright, illuminated by a lamp on the ceiling which flooded the room with cold light.
In the middle stood a wooden table surrounded with blue, comfortable looking chairs. A few pretty paintings were covering the wall, some of them showing flowers, others showing fighting Ability Guards. It was quite the contrast.
"Hello. I suppose you are Alysia? ", an athletic looking Woman with blonde hair sat on one of the chairs. She was wearing a white blouse and black jeans.
I nodded slightly nervous.
She smiled in a friendly way while getting up and walking towards me.
" Nice to meet you. I'm Mrs Austins. I'll help you with this test today. "
She shook my hand.
" Nice to meet you too. Thanks for helping me ", I smiled while evading eye contact.
She nodded and pointed at the table." Please take a seat. "
I sat down and was surprised about how soft the chairs were.
Mrs Austins set down on the opposite side of the table and started explaining." This test will measure how many possibilities you have with your abilities. Most people think it's just measuring the power of ones abilities but that's not how it works. It basically tests your potential and how far you could advance your abilities. It is your own choice if you will train them to full power"
I nodded while thinking about her explanation.
So getting a 5,the highest amount, wouldn't mean that I'd be strong asap and getting a 1 would not necessarily mean, that people with higher amounts would be much more powerful, depending on how much they would be willing to train.
"Also", she kept explaining "it is possible to get an amount like 3.5 or basically anything in between numbers. It happens quite rarely but it can happen."
I nodded again.
"Any questions? ", she looked at me.
I took a second to think.
" What will I have to do for the test? "
She smiled politely." You will be attached to a device which will send an impulse through your body. This will not make you use your abilities, you do not have to worry about that. It will simply measure your bodies reaction and get the number like that. All you have to do is sit there and try not to move too much. "
Once again my incredibly intellectual answer was nodding.
She got out of her chair while brushing her clothes.
" I'll go get the device now, please wait here. "
She left the room through a door in the back and closed it behind herself.
For a moment I simply sat there, appreciating the silence.
I was still incredibly nervous.
For some reason I felt that getting a low amount would disappoint the friends I had made here.
My heart started beating a little bit faster as I started breathing heavier.
I needed to calm myself down so I silently started singing 'My Demons' by Starset.
"Take me high and I'll sing... You make everything okay... "
I didn't know who I was directing that to. Normally I would sing this to glare.
" We are one and the same... You take all of the pain away... Save me if I become my demons. "
I felt like my voice would start shaking if I'd continue so I stopped, simply looking at the table.
It felt strange to be alone.
Usually I loved being alone. I loved it to simply listen to everything around me.
But now being alone felt weird.
I shook my head, disappointed in myself for becoming so stupidly attached to those people I had only known for a short time.
"Didn't I promise myself not to trust anyone like this again? I didn't even try to keep my distance! Idiot! ", I mentally shouted at myself for being so naive. What if it would happen again? What if I would trust them and then get left behind or even worse, betrayed?
I knew it could happen. Because it had already happened to me when...
My thoughts were interrupted by Mrs Austins entering the room, a little device which looked like a TV remote with cables in her hands.
"I apologize for taking so long, I had to organize something. " She sat back down in front of me.
I smiled politely, not looking directly at her.
She pointed at the device." This is the tester. I know, it does not look as dramatic as it sounds but it does what it is supposed to. "
She pointed at two red cables with little things at the end which looked like plasters.
" These go on your hands. The other ones are for your chest and your head. I will attach them if that is okay with you. "
I looked at the cables, slightly worried." Okay, thank you. Go ahead. "
She got up once again and started putting the plasters at the ends of the cables on my hands, my chest about at the position of my heart, and on my forehead.
I started to concentrate on my breathing. It calmed me down a bit.
Mrs Austins smiled in a friendly way.
"Don't worry Alysia. This won't hurt you, you probably won't even feel much of it. "
I forced myself to smile back. She didn't need to know that pain wasn't my main concern. It was the result of the test that scared me.
Mrs Austins seemed to think that she had calmed me down while she picked up the device and started typing something on it.
That was no surprise, I was able to hide my feelings incredibly well so all she saw was an excited girl waiting to take her test.
"I will activate it now and it will take a few seconds to calculate your result. Please try not to move too much. " she smiled her professional smile once again as she pushed a button on the little device.
I felt something running through my body. It was like a very weak wave running through me but it didn't hurt like she had mentioned.
'Calculation in progress'
We were both staring at the little screen, not daring to say a word.
Every second felt like a minute of pressure and fear. My heart was beating like crazy and I tried my best to hold still to not mess up the calculations.
Finally, it showed the results.
'5'

//Hi! Sorry that I am not posting as often as planned... I don't really have time to write much lately 😅
I will try to change that so I will be able to post something once or twice a week.
Thanks for reading! ^^//