VIII

Takeshi POV.

Well, my father isn't off to work. That's for sure. I'm pretty sure he's cheating. That's why papa was upset. I don't really care, and I'd rather not tell anybody just yet.

"Takeshi! Come here!"

I walked downstairs to my papa.

"Takeshi, do you know why your father's been leaving so much lately?"

"No."

"Okay. Thank you. Tell your siblings that dinner is ready."

I walked back upstairs to let everyone know that the food was ready. Yuji and Katsumi wouldn't take their eyes off the screen. Akemi and Akira were drawing when I told them, and Hiro was crying on her bed.

"What's the issue?"

"I think Otu-san plans on leaving us."

I shut the door quickly and locked it.

"You cannot tell Papa or anyone else."

"Why not? I think ChiChi needs to know."

"No. He doesn't need to know. No one can know. I didn't think you would've noticed."

"I saw the face he made when Otu-san got up to leave. He always comes home smelling like someone else's house. I don't like it. He's smart, but not smart enough to fake me out."

"Hn. I think he knows we know. He has to. He is a genius after all."

"Well, he can't leave us. We have our whole lives ahead of us. We're fourteen!"

"Act like you know nothing. Get it together because we're going to eat dinner now."

"Okay."

"I'll cover for you. If they ask what's wrong. Say you and a friend aren't on good terms or something."

She nodded and I headed back downstairs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's around ten o'clock and my father is finally back. I stood at the top of the stairs as he climbed them.

"Oh? Takeshi? What are you doing up?"

"We need to talk."

"About what? Did one of your siblings do something?"

"No. Follow me," I led him to the basement where no one could hear our conversation.

"What's it about?"

"You."

"What? Why?"

"I think you're cheating on Papa."

"I'm not."

"Quit lying. You bite the inside of your lip and look away when you're lying."

"You're a smart kid. I'll never admit that I am though."

"Fair enough. At least tell Papa. Hiro and I already knew. We are the smartest afterall. Oh, and if you really knew how to get away with it, you wouldn't smell like someone else's house and leave hours the company definitely doesn't need you. Not that I care. I just care about Papa," I walked back up the stairs and left him to think.

He can't possibly be my father if he's dumb enough to believe I wouldn't notice. I may be fourteen years old, but I know plenty.

Soon there were crashes and screams to be heard. Everyone ran to my room when they heard them.

"What's going on?" Yuji asked.