Blaming Cupid - Chapter Seventeen

blaming cupid
‹ s e v e n t e e n ›

17. Harriet

"Josiah!" I chase after him, half-way into pulling up my grey leggings.

He's in the kitchen, seeming rather casual than I expect him to be. He peels his banana and takes a bite while eyeing my face intently.

"Yes?" he asks.

"You didn't see anything...did you?" I watch his features closely as I wait for him to respond.

"Nope, nothing at all." I can tell he's lying. Why? Because he's pressing his lips together tightly and refusing to look me in the eye.

"Liar!" I accuse him.

He holds his hands up defensively. "OK! I saw like the side of your nipple, but I swear that's all I saw."

I step towards him with an intimidating glance. "You promise?"

"Cross my heart and hope to die." He quickly replies, making a cross sign against his chest.

"That's fine," I reply. "But just because now that you've seen my uh...breast size...you better not act all nice."

He raises his eyebrow, inquiringly. "Nice?"

"Yes, a boobist in simpler terms, people like you are the reason why I can't wear sheer tops," I complain.

"Hattie," He pauses. "I am not a boobist."

"Good," I narrow my eyes. "no girl should be treated differently because of the size of their chest."

"I agree completely, cherry." He replies. "They shouldn't."

With a nod, I unfold my arms and take a banana from the fruit basket, sitting on the stool beneath the counter.

Suddenly, a meow erupts from behind me and I turn around to see a small kitty approaching. It's a golden British shorthair, purring all in its adorable glory.

"Who's this?" I gush.

"Oh, this is Pumpkin." Josiah smiles hugely when he speaks. "She's an absolute darling."

"She's very pretty," I reply.

The kitty walks through Josiah's legs and snuggles up against him. In return, he picks her up, giving a peck on her tiny nose.

"Hey beautiful," He says in a funny tone. "Daddy loves you so very much, angel, yes he does, oh yes he does."

I feel like laughing but then decide against it as it will ruin the moment.

Who ever thought tough and bad Josiah would be a cat lover?

He then lets her down to which she meows quietly and wanders out of the kitchen in an action so graceful it almost makes my heart melt.

"That was quite delightful," I remark and plop back down on the stool.

Josiah rolls his eyes. "Ha, whatever."

He proceeds to take a seat beside me, his elbow reclining against the counter as he glances over at me with a smirk. He continues to burn holes into the side of my face until I turn my head and throw him a probing look.

"What?" I ask.

There's mischief growing on his face and now I'm reluctant to know what he's thinking.