Chapter 2

Original Stats:
910 Views. 27 Votes. 21 Comments.

━━━━━━━━━

Chapter 2

━━━━━━━━━

Clarity shook her head as she allowed her parents to continue on with their own conversation. Andrew had been meant to meet them at the restaurant for lunch, only for him to cancel on them completely. He had just texted her, asking if she could meet up for drinks later on tonight. Only then would she find out the reasoning as to why her brother had canceled. She simply thought it was because he didn't want to see their parents.

She had been able to piece together the facts from just her brothers' Facebook page. He had dropped out of Stanford this past month, the very month that Clarity herself had graduated. She could slightly see some type of art room in the back of his pictures from school, so she had figured he had wanted to become an artist spontaneously. Just another reason why she should take over Davenport Industries. But she did respect him for following his dreams.

Her brother always had been artistic.

But aside from her brother not showing up, all that she could think about was the encounter with the Greenberg's. It was basically the only topic of conversation between her parents as well.

"Chase, fighting with Marcus, or any of the Greenberg's for that matter, isn't going to change anything. We already found that out the hard way." Bree tried again.

Clarity had to admit, her mother was right, there. After hearing the many stories of how things went down back then, there was no use in fighting on her father's end. Which, was exactly why she would do nothing about her small problem with Blake. Despite the fact she couldn't get her mind off of him, she just had to. If anything, the two would end up as rivals by the end of this. Actual, rivals. Not like the kind they had been for the past twenty three years of her life. The kind of rivals that knew each other, and hated each other simply because they were stuck in the same type of work in different companies.

Bree slummed back in her chair slightly, only then looking over to see the concentrated look on Clarity's face. Bree frowned as she watched her daughter, wondering just what the girl could be thinking about. "Are you okay, Clarity?" Bree asked as she let her hand rest over her daughter's. Hearing her name brought Clarity out of her thoughts. She shook her head quickly, trying to act as though everything was fine. As if she was able to get Blake Greenberg out of her head.

"I'm fine." Clarity reassured. Chase nodded warily, worried that he had said something during their family lunch that had upset her.

"You sure? You've been staring at your sandwich for half an hour but haven't taken a bite." Chase teased as he pushed her plate slowly closer to her. Clarity broke a smile as he dad leaned back into his chair again. Bree rolled her eyes before reaching over and grabbing onto her husband's hand. He had kept his sense of humor through it all.

"So you're not going to start the rivalry back up?" Bree asked, hoping he would say no. Chase sighed before playing with the unused fork out on the dining table.

"I have no control over what Marcus and his son have already started." Chase finished before looking to Clarity, knowing if they brought their daughter into this, Bree would drop it. "So what were you saying before the Greenberg's so rudely interrupted?"

Clarity froze at that. She hadn't been planning on asking him if she could take over the company after today. After seeing the Greenberg's. She felt it would put too much pressure on her dad for one day. Especially considering he had no prior knowledge of her brother's acting out. Or the fact that she had interest in taking over. He still thought Andrew was taking over the company, at that.