Chapter 12

Original Stats:
200 Views. 13 Votes. 22 Comments.

━━━━━━━━━

Chapter 12

━━━━━━━━━

Blake let out a long breath as his eyes darted around the large room. Not once had he laid eyes on the blonde, previously brunette, beauty that he had been half trying to avoid. Though he was almost hoping to run into Clarity. He needed to see Clarity with Zander. He needed to see how she reacted to Zander with his own eyes. Something about the two just didn't add up. Zander had come into their lives so quickly, despite the fact that he was Amanda Richardson's cousin. Something else was up. Blake allowed himself to check his watch for at least the tenth time in the last minute. He couldn't be late for his flight. Blake had reluctantly decided to come to the ball along with Marcus. But he was still planning on heading back to Japan later on in the night.

"I'm glad you decided to come, son." Marcus said, a misleading happiness to his voice as he patted Blake on the back. The two stood along the far wall, simply watching as the many guests arrived across the room at the stairwell. Blake nodded, keeping his hands in his pants pockets. He would never wish this type of conversation on anyone. It had been awkward on the car ride to the ball, yes, but now, was much worse. "How could you miss such an-"

"You don't have to make small talk." Blake interrupted coldly, his eyes bouncing over to meet Marcus'. "We've discussed enough as far as I'm concerned." Blake kept his voice quiet. He had no intention of starting a riot at a charity ball. Especially given the Greenberg's past. Marcus had made such a scene basically anywhere he went. Blake himself didn't need that kind of publicity for himself. His reputation had been untainted so far. There was absolutely no way, he was going to allow for that kind of behavior between himself and Marcus tonight.

"Well if we don't make small talk," Marcus paused as he switched his attention to the stage. This area, the stage, had been set up just next to the bottom of the stairwell. "Then I can't tell you about the big finale I have planned for the end of the evening." Marcus finished, a sly smirk resting on his face as he kept his eyesight honed in on the stage across the room. Marcus had been planning this for years. His final revenge was finally beginning to be put into motion.

Blake could feel his eyebrows furrow with that. What exactly could Marcus be planning now? This was a charity ball, after all. One for a man that had lost his legs in nine-eleven. Derrick Fredrickson had been in the twin tower buildings for an important executive meeting that day so long ago. Right in the middle of the meeting was when the attacks stroke down on the buildings. He made it out alive, but his legs had to be amputated. His son now held this charity ball in an attempt to make up for the lost loved ones of others like himself. Mr. Fredrickson just so happened to be the richest CEO in America as of today, right before the number two of Donald Davenport.

"Marcus." Blake hushed as he leaned in. "If you're planning something that could ruin-"

"It won't ruin anything about the ball." Marcus reassured as he glared down into Blake's eyes. "What it will do, is show our dominance over a certain family." Marcus plastered a smile onto his face as he returned to his forward glance at the stage. Blake could feel his heart begin to beat faster as the answer suddenly popped up into his head. That was what his boss had been waiting for.

"Marcus-"

"No." Marcus shook his head. "Are you thirsty, my boy?" He questioned as he motioned towards the refreshments table across the room. "I hear the champagne is lovely this evening."