Chapter 15

Original Stats:
213 Views. 15 Votes. 19 Comments.

━━━━━━━━━

Chapter 15

━━━━━━━━━

"Where are you?" Bree asked incredulously into the phone as she glanced out the window towards the Californian beach. Her husband and youngest child were out already, basking in the sun as they awaited Clarity's arrival. If, she would arrive at all. Bree wasn't so sure of that as she spoke with Clarity further. She hadn't seen, spoken to, or heard of Clarity since the family had split up the night before. Until now, at least.

"I'm..." Clarity left off as she silently thanked her driver, taking the handle to her suitcase in her hand as she walked away from the car. She rolled the suitcase along with her up to the door of the hotel, stopping just outside to speak with her mother as the car drove away. "I'm not at the beach house."

"I can see that." Bree scoffed as she crossed her left arm over her chest. Chase waved to her happily, his sunglasses covering the even happier look that Bree knew would be in his eyes. "So let me ask again, where exactly are you?"

Clarity shook her head, watching as the many couples and families made their way into the hotel. The hotel was just across from the airport, and the beach. The beach was amazing, and the sun was thankfully out to help set the mood. The Davenport girl had managed to find the hotel, or rather resort, Blake had been staying at in Japan for the last few months. It was just a little ways off from Tokyo, where the other Greenberg office was. "I'm at the beach." Clarity nodded, glancing around the incoming airplane towards the blue waters. "Maybe not the beach you guys are at-"

"So you're in California then?" Bree laughed nervously. She bit down hard into her bottom lip as she stressed further about where her daughter could be.

"No." Clarity squeezed her eyes shut, anxiously waiting for her mother's reply.

"At least tell me you're in the country." Bree sighed, feeling at her wits end. Not once had Clarity ever spoken of going to another beach, let alone one outside of the United States. "Or if you're in Hawaii then we can just-"

"I'm not anywhere in, or near the country, mom." Clarity interrupted, not wanting for her mother to go on. "I can't tell you where I am, but I'm safe, and I'm staying in a very nice hotel." Clarity reassured, listening as her mother took slow breaths in and out.

"If you needed to get away..." Bree left off, feeling unsure of herself. "You could have just told me." Clarity shook her head, knowing her mother had to be worried sick.

"I just need some time alone. I need to think things through. I can't really do that with dad breathing down my neck and hounding me about Blake. Or with Andy constantly fighting with me." Clarity ran her fingers through her wavy blonde hair. She hadn't even had a chance to shower before leaving California. She had simply changed, packed a bag, and jumped on the first flight out to Japan. Blake made her do the most impulsive things.

"What did you two fight about this time?" Bree sighed once more, her eyebrows furrowing as she looked out towards her son. He seemed to be just fine with his mother and father on the way up to the beach. Not once had he commented on Clarity's absence, though. He had only asked if Amanda could join them. Which, now, she probably could. This was no longer a trip exclusive to family.

"Nothing, don't worry about our fight, or about me. I'll be back before you know it. I'll probably come out and join you guys for the tail end of the vacation." Clarity rambled as she turned back towards the door. "I love you." Clarity nodded to herself as she headed inside.