Chapter 10

Original Stats:
244 Views. 15 Votes. 13 Comments.

━━━━━━━━━

Chapter 10

━━━━━━━━━

Three months later

"What about this one?" Bree mussed as she held up the extravagant dress against her body. Her mother's eyes scanned over the large ball gown through the reflection in the nearby mirror as Clarity rolled her eyes and shook her head. Her mother had clearly picked that dress out with someone else in mind.

"Maybe for you, mom." Clarity muttered under her breathe as she continued sifting through the many dresses in the three story department store. Bree shook her head, placing the dress over her left arm and making her way over to her daughter.

"That's what I meant." Bree said as she turned her attention to Clarity's current behavior. "The dress is for me." Bree clarified smartly as she leaned back against the large window behind Clarity. Bree watched as her daughter shoved dress upon dress aside, never giving one more than a glance before moving onto the next one. "What's been up with you lately, anyways?" Bree started, taking notice of Clarity's continuous snips and quiet comebacks. The girl had been on the edge for practically more than three months now. It was incredibly strange considering all the wonderful things happening in her daughter's life.

Clarity shook her head once more, dropping her arms down from the many jaw dropping dresses as she kept her eyes set straight ahead at the racks. She couldn't dare look her mother in the eyes. Not now, when she was asking questions like this. "Nothing." Clarity lied quietly as her sight fell to the ground. Bree could feel a frown take form on her face as she watched every movement Clarity made. Her actions weren't lining up with her words. Something was up. Something had been up.

"There's got to be something wrong." Bree countered, laughing a bit at the circumstances. "You've got an incredibly tentative, rich, and loving boyfriend, who's called you ten times since you've stepped out of the office. You're on the track for being CEO of a major company, one that's been around so long that it will never go under. And," Bree paused as she took a few steps towards her daughter. "You've got your family back." She reminded with a small smile as she rubbed her hand over Clarity's back lovingly. Clarity nodded, sucking in a deep breathe before spinning around and plastering a smile onto her face.

"You're right, mom." She agreed. "I've just been in a bit of a personal rut. Nothing having to do with any of you, or any of the amazing things happening to me. I'll get over it, as soon as I find a dress." Clarity kidded, gaining a laugh from her mother. It seemed as though she had to stay upbeat. That was, if she wanted to get away with her actions of three months ago. If she didn't, everyone would find out. Everyone would be able to tell with merely a look that something had been up. Which wouldn't be good for her, or Blake. It wasn't only her ass on the line.

"Good." Bree smiled as her eyes scanned over the store. Clarity could see her mother's eyes widen as she caught sight of something. "I think I know just the one." Bree murmured before she strutted across the store.

Clarity sighed as she was left alone. This party, the one that her mother, Amanda, herself, and the rest of Davenport Industries was preparing for, was an annual ball Clarity hadn't been to since her senior year in high school. Some fancy event all the wealthy people of their area were invited to yearly. It was a charity event as far as Clarity was concerned. They all threw in a hundred dollars of their pay checks and ended up donating the highest amount of any company every year. Nothing would ever change about that.