Chapter One

Trigger warning for a mention of rape.

***

On Asgard, the Queen was visibly trying to prepare herself as one of her sons was dragged in front of her. While he was not her son by blood, she had raised him. It still pained her to see him be brought to the throne room. "Loki," she whispered.

Loki stopped in the center of the room, took one look at her, and smirked. "Hello, Mother. Have I made you proud?"

"Please, don't make this worse," Frigga begged.

Loki looked down at the shackles on his neck and wrists, then held them up. "Define 'worse.'"

"Enough!" Frigga closed her eyes when her husband's voice boomed. "I will speak to the prisoner alone."

Frigga left without another word, leaving Loki to face the Allfather alone. He laughed as he was brought closer to the throne. "I really don't see what all the fuss is about."

"Do you not truly feel the gravity of your crimes?" Odin growled. "Wherever you go, there is war, ruin, and death."

"I wanted to rule the people of Earth as a benevolent god, just like you," Loki retorted.

"We are not gods!" Odin bellowed. "We are born, we live, we die, just as humans do."

Loki shrugged. "Give or take five thousand years."

Odin scoffed. "All because Loki desires a throne."

"It's my birthright!" Loki protested.

"Your birthright was to die as a child!" Odin snapped. "Cast out onto a frozen rock. If I had not taken you in, you would not be here now to hate me."

"If I had fully asked for true mercy, I'd say just swing it," Loki rolled his eyes. "It's not that I don't love our little talks, it's just . . . I don't love them."

"Frigga is the only reason you are still alive, and you will never see her again," Odin declared. "You will spend the rest of your days in the dungeon."

"And what of Thor?" Loki raised an eyebrow. "You'll make that witless oaf king while I rot in chains?"

"Thor must strive to undo the damage you have done," Odin retorted. "He will bring order to the Nine Realms, and then yes, he will be king."

***

In Vanaheim, Sif was having a difficult time keeping an eye out for each of her friends. There were Fandra, Volstagg, and Hogun, members of the Warriors Three, but there was still no -

She felt a rush of wind behind her and turned to see the Bifrost neatly deposit the person she was looking for in the middle of the battlefield. With one swing of his hammer, several of the invaders were sent flying. Sif mockingly glared at him. "I've got this completely under control!"

Thor raised an eyebrow and made an exaggerated gesture around them. "Is that why everything's on fire?"

Sif just rolled her eyes, watching Thor's back as the two of them fought together. She caught something out of the corner of her eye, then raised her shield to cover Thor. The spear thrown by one of the invaders punctured it, and Thor turned, startled. He took one look at the spear, then looked at Sif in surprise. "You're welcome," she said dryly.

Thor gave her a grin, then they both froze when they heard a massive bellow. They turned to see a giant, lumbering creature made of stone tromp its way across the battlefield, swinging Asgardian soldiers out of the way. As the invaders cheered, the two exchanged glances, and Sif raised an eyebrow. "All yours."