AEE16~~~ The Sleeping Lump I Call My Best Friend

Chapter Sixteen

The Sleeping Lump I Call My Best Friend

Meghan

Three Weeks. That was the amount of time it had taken to plan the memorial.

It had been the worst three weeks of my life. There had been a lot of crying and I was tired. I was tired of crying and I was tired of the looks I got whenever I went to school.

Sure, not all of the looks I had gotten were bad. A lot of people were very supportive, but there were always one person that would talk about me and look at me like I was disgusting for every two people that were actually nice to me and were supportive.

Let’s just say that there are a lot of people in this city and a lot of them go to my school.

The moments with Darren after school were probably the only thing that got me through the days. He was there as much as he could be.

I just wish he could be there for me more, but that wasn’t an option until after graduation.

The memorial was set to begin in less than three hours and I was pretty sure that I looked horrible.

I hadn’t been able to sleep; I had been up all night crying my heart out. It was still hard for me and I doubted it would ever get any easier. But maybe I’d learn to live with the pain. That’s honestly the best I can hope for.

Bria had stayed the night and was still asleep. She’d been up with me most of the night when my crying had woke her up. I felt really bad about it too. She shouldn’t have had to deal with that.

The memorial was set to be up in this little cabin our family owns down by the woods. It was a forty five minute drive away.

It was eight in the morning and it started at eleven. There were supposed to be a lot of people turning out. The city was huge and once people had heard of it, they had wanted to come to show their support.

“Bria!” I lean over the stack of extra pillows on my king sized bed to shake the sleeping lump I call my best friend. “Bria, it’s time to get up!”

I hear a groan come from under the blanket that she has pulled over her head.

“Five more minutes!” She mumbles sleepily. I shake her again.

“If you don’t get up now, you aren’t going to have enough time to get ready for the memorial!” I tell her in sing song voice.

She immediately shoots up in my bed, her eyes wide.

“That’s today?” She looks confused and I just laugh at her. A sleepy Bria is a funny Bria.

“Yes, it’s today! Now, get up or you’ll look like crap for the memorial. You wouldn’t want that, now would you?” I tease. I didn’t think I’d be able to smile this morning, but I guess I was wrong.

And with that thought, a frown almost immediately slipped onto my face.

“Are you okay?” Bria asks me gently, hugging me from behind.

“Yeah,” I smile weakly at her concerned eyes. “It’s just so hard, you know?” I cut her off as she starts to answer. “No, of course you don’t. You’ve never lost baby before.” I mumble, trying to hold back tears.

She just looks at me, unsure what to say.

“It’s alright,” I tell her quietly. I clear my throat, wiping my hand under my eyes, effectively removing the tears that had just, seconds ago, been trickling down. I turn away from my best friend and walk to the closet, calling over my shoulder, “It would probably be a good idea to start getting ready. The memorial starts in a few hours.” And with that said, I shut the door behind me and sink to the floor, letting the tears free again.