Chapter 9: Where Did She Go?

Claire's POV

News Cast*
17-year-old orphan girl gone missing. Please call Sunshine Orphanage if you find her.

  We all watched as Sarah's picture flashed across the screen. Why would she leave me? She was like my mother. And why would she leave Ashley? She was her best friend. We were both in tears as we saw her picture. Ms. Natalia came and turned the TV off.

  She called us all in for dinner. The dinner table was silent. There was an empty chair between me and Ashley. Nothing felt right in this house. We all finished quietly, took showers, and went to bed. I spent my night crying. "Are you alright, Claire?", Ashley said, putting her hand on my shoulder.

  I jumped and looked up at her,"I don't know anymore." I started sobbing once again. I wasn't ok without Sarah with me. She got in the bed with me and held me."Shhh... I'm sure Sarah is fine", she said. I looked up at her, tears still streaming down my face. "Ok, I, honestly, don't know. No one knows. But I bet she misses us", she said,"I know in my heart she'll come back wherever she is, she loves us."

  She started crying into my hair,"She wants to be here. With us." We cried ourselves to sleep. The next morning, everything felt weird. I couldn't smell breakfast being made. I couldn't hear Sarah's beautiful voice singing. And I couldn't do anything about it.

  Ashley came into the room and saw me lying there,"Hey I'm going to pick up something for us to eat. Do you want to come with?" I nodded and got up out of bed. We got into the car that Sarah used to drive. Memories flashed into my head, making my eyes water.