The Vamp's Girl [32]

The morning came too fast...it almost didn’t even feel like the night was there. My heart was heavy like it was chained over and over until it struggled to beat on it’s own. I touched the one winged pendant around my neck, feeling each feather under my thumb as I stroked it.

“Did you sleep well?” Keilor asked, I sat up in the bed feeling a little light headed but I shook it off.

“Mhm, did you?” I asked him, he smiled.

“How can I sleep when there is everything a man could dream of, in my arms?” He smiled, I smiled lying back down and kissed his nose.

“I hate to break up the lovebirds. It’s time Princess.” I jolted up to see Nath standing in front of the cell; I looked at Keilor for a moment who looked at me questioningly.

“Time for what?” Keilor asked me, I felt the chains break and my heart began to beat rapidly- so rapidly it felt like it would explode. I clutched it for a moment and let myself exhale.

“Time for fate. We must not be late.” Nath said, I silently slipped off the bed and the doors opened. I began to step out; I stopped and turned around Keilor was standing there staring at me questioningly. I ran back to him throwing my hands around his neck and kissed him passionately, the heat and flames were all there. I threw my heart and soul into one last kiss I’d ever have with him.

“I am forever yours.” I said touching my heart then his. He grabbed my hand and brought it to his lips for a moment. I quickly stepped out of the cell and the door shut promptly behind me. I smiled one last smile at him but even I could tell it was fake. I couldn’t do it anymore...I memorized his face; every detail, every line and every curve.

“April...” He called and I stepped away, I turned on my heel and forced myself to take steps away from him; it felt like pulling against a force. My heart ached already; the tears were already freefalling and I couldn’t bring myself to turn around now. If I turned around and saw Keilor’s face I wouldn’t be able to walk away. “Please don’t tell me this is a goodbye.” I heard the pain in his voice whisper through the corridor.

“My, not even a last look? Truly cold.” Nath said smugly but I continued walking anyways. Every echo of my footsteps was like my heartbeat; I listened to it letting a wall rise up and contain my emotions.

“What do I have to do?” I asked him, he smiled at me for a moment before brushing a piece of hair off my face. No one would ever have to suffer for me; I wasn’t afraid. I wasn’t going to be afraid.

“Time to get ready.” He urged me, he led me back to the room I had awaken in. There Timia, Bellon and Rahat were. They were all dressed in white dresses, they greeted me and I was left in their care.

“Sit in the chair April; I’ll do your hair.” Timia said; I followed her instructions and once again like a doll, I let myself be made. I stared at myself and wondered how my life would end like this. I smiled; if it was to protect the man I’d come to love then nothing mattered.

Whatever happened to the strong, independant April? I stared at myself. That was right. Once upon another life; I was the boss - queen of everything. The tough strong girl that needed no one’s help. I was suppose to show everyone that I was going to make it in the world. What did that even mean though? Become rich and famous?

I wiped the tears away on the back of my hand, I did make it in the world...in this world. I felt a burning in my fingers; it wasn‘t the usual tingling of my lightning that I was used it, it was like a burning fire that was desprate to break out of my control. I shut my eyes and willed myself to calm down. There was nothing more that I could do; if I didn‘t die today...and let someone else carry my own burden I could not, I would not ever forgive myself. How long had I been living so carefree? Was this the way it was mean‘t to be? I guess knowing I was going to die was worse than not knowing anything at all.