Chapter 10

"Listen you two," Mrs Sparks said to us, "I'm really happy for the two of you. It makes me proud that my son found actual love."
"Thank you, Mom," Jake told her.
We were sitting outside, grilling marshmallows. There were only nature around us and no people: the atmosphere was amazing.
"So," I said, "what do you guys normally do on Christmas?"
"Nothing really," Jake told me, "we just used to have some people over and so on."
"And you?" Mrs Sparks asked me.
"For us, it's more like a family day. You know, like all the cousins just hanging out, while the grown-ups used to get everything ready inside. It was quite fun, actually."
"Well, it sure sounds that way." She bit into her burned marshmallow.
"Hey, do you two wanna go take a walk?" Jake asked.
"It's already night time," his mother told him, "are you sure?"
"Oh come on, stop being afraid. I'm with you two."
I rolled my eyes, "so macho."
"Pwease?" he nagged us with a pout and we couldn't say no.

I thought going through the woods with a car was scary. Little did I know ho much scarier walking through it would be. Jake walked in the middle of us with a torchlight, while we held onto him every time we heard a sound.
"Jake," I said, "I think I wanna go back."
"You'll do no such thing," Mrs Sparks told me, "we're going through this together."
Right then, I heard my phone beep. I took it out of my jeanpocket and saw it was a text from Sophie. It read: Hey there, how's the new in laws? Ooh, guess what...
I texted back: Hey sis, haven't heard much of my new father in law, but mom's cool. And what?
Sophie: Too bad for that idiot not knowing you then. Brian and I am sort of dating now...
Me: That's amazing! So happy for you 2 knew this would happen soon though.
Sophie: Well enjoy you honeymoon further with in laws... ttyl.. Bye xoxo
Me: Okay, bye sis xoxo
"Who are you talking to, baby?" Jake asked me.
"Sophie. She and Brian are dating."
"At last!"
"Who and what now?" Mrs Sparks asked us.
We laughed and told her the whole story about Sophie and Brian and how long it took them to realise they like each other.
"Wow," Mrs Sparks said, "and there it was, right in front of them." She shook her head and smiled.
"They were in denial, that's all," I told her.
"That they were..." she looked up to the sky.
"Hey mom," Jake frowned, "where's dad?"
"On business, yet again."
"Oh, okay."
It was quiet for a while, all of us with our own thoughts.
And then: "Jake, your father and I are getting a divorce."
"What?" Jake sounded angry.
"I'm sorry, I couldn't deal with him anymore."
I felt out of place, as if I should give them space. But, Jake held me tighter and I couldn't get out of his tight grip. I didn't know what to say or do.
"What happened, Mom?" he then asked.
"We were never meant to be. I didn't even want to go into this whole business thing, but I did it for him. I did everything for him. And yet, it was never enough for him. He just never loved me the way I should have been loved, I wasn't the right one for him."
"Mom, what the hell? You guys loved each other, I've never seen you not being happy when you're together." "That was for you, Jake. But, looking at you now, I've learnt a lesson. I can actually feel the love between the two of you. I'm sorry, please understand. I'm finally happy. I have been since your father left the cabin this morning. I respect him and that's why I want him to be free."
"What would you do now that Dad's gone? Where would you go?"
"Don't worry, I've got it all under control."
"And what happens with Christmas? How would that work out now with you here and Dad there?"
"You can both come with me," I spoke up, "your mom won't have to be alone and your dad..."
"Will be handling a Christmas party we throw at work every year," Mrs Sparks said.
"So, it's settled then. You're both coming with me. I'm sure my family won't mind you, we're kind of a very big family."
"That sounds great, thank you."
"I'll book the tickets for us," Jake said, "you guys must just pack and so on. I can't wait to meet your family."
I smiled at him, "me neither." And then reality stroke me...