Paul's Family: Part 1

Paul

I was chasing my three year old (?) daughter around the living room when the door opened.

I sighed in relief when Percy walked into the room.

"Percy, thank the gods. Could you help me? Your sister refuses to put on her dress and let your mother do her hair."

Andromeda giggled and shook her head, making her dark brown curls get even more tangled.

Percy's son, Achilles came in, futzing with the collar of his shirt.

"Daddy, do I have to wear this shirt?" The three year old asked.

"I don't know Lee, what did mommy say?"

"No?"

Percy chuckled and ruffled his son's curly blonde hair.

"Yeah right. Now how about you help me convince Aunty Andy to dress up."

Achilles marched right up to his aunt, who was only a few months older than him, and spoke.

"If I have to dress up, you have to dress up."

Percy chuckled and turned to me.

"When are they coming?"

I checked my watch.

"My brother and his family should be here any minute now."

"Alright." He picked up his sister and started walking towards her room. "Come on Achilles!"

After they disappeared down the hall, I walked into the kitchen where Annabeth and Sally were sitting at the counter, talking.

Sally held our other daughter Atalanta, who is only one year old, in her arms while Annabeth was holding one of her two year old twins, Luke, with the help of her slightly swollen stomach. Zoë was inspecting every ornament on the Christmas tree.

The women were talking about pregnancies again so I decided to go talk to my step granddaughter.

She was in a fancy little green dress and had just found a trident ornament that was right in between Ariel and Nemo. She took it off the tree and started pretending to use it.

I didn't even start to try and talk to the little girl. Two years old and already choosing weapons over Disney.

I was a little grateful when the doorbell rang.

"They're here!" I called out as I went to get the door.

-------------------------------------------------

Kaitlin Blofis

Hey, my name is Kaitlin and this year on Christmas day we're going to my uncle Paul's house. The one upside is I'm pretty sure he has a step son that is close to my age. No, I'm not trying to date him. We may not be related by blood but he's still my cousin, it'll just be nice to talk to someone closer to my age in the family.

All the other cousins are at least two years younger than me. I'm nineteen years old and have a great boyfriend of four and a half years. All the others are just annoying.

We stepped up to the blue door (which I found really weird) and my little brother Peter rang the bell.

Uncle Paul opened the door and welcomed us in.

"Merry Christmas guys!"

A tall man with windswept black hair and sea green eyes walked in with a little boy sitting up on his shoulders and a little girl holding onto one of his legs.

The little boy had curly blond hair and stormy grey eyes while the girl had dark brown hair and soft brown eyes.

The man held out a hand for me to shake.

"Hello, I'm Percy, it's nice to meet you."

I shook his hand.

"It's nice to meet you too, I'm Kaitlin."

A blonde woman walked up behind my cousin with two children trailing behind her and I couldn't help but hope that they were together, they would make such a cute couple.

"Hello, my name is Annabeth."

"Okay, I know I just met you both but please tell you guys are a couple."

They looked a little surprised but nodded.

"Annabeth is my wife." Percy said as he let the boy on his shoulders slide down to stand on the ground.

I must be honest, I was a little shocked.

"Wow, you guys must be pretty serious."

"Yeah well, we were a bit of a special case. Besides, we have kids." Annabeth said.

She gestured towards the three year old boy.

"This is our oldest, Achilles, then we have our twins, Zoë and Luke and we're expecting another in approximately four months."

"You guys must be busy."

Annabeth scoffed.

"Talk about the understatement of the last three centuries. I run my own architecture firm while I still have two years of college left then Percy is part of the Olympics, working at the local aquarium, and is studying for a degree in marine biology, and to top it all off, we're both head councilors at a summer camp. So, if you add the kids, our schedules are packed."

I just nodded numbly as we went off to different rooms, my parents and uncle with his wife went into the kitchen with the little kids while the three of us and my brother went into a room.

"So, who was the little girl earlier?" I asked, a little confused.

Percy laughed.

"Oh, that was one of my half sisters, Andy. She's a few months older than Achilles but my other half sister is only one so she'll at least so far only be older than little Ethan here." He said putting a hand over Annabeth's stomach."

Honestly I could hardly believe that this situation was even real. Most adults would never let their children start a large family so young but everyone seemed so kind and accepting about it. This encounter made me realize just how lucky I was to have these amazing people be part of my family.

We spent the rest of the visit talking, laughing, and having fun together and when it was time to leave I found myself wondering when could see them next.