Andromeda Galaine

I walked down the hall only to bump into one of the grade twelve students. I was still getting used to high school, which was reasonable seeing as it's only Friday of the first week.

I immediately became flustered and started stuttering out apologies.

The guy I'd bumped into just laughed it off.

"No don't worry, it was my fault. I wasn't looking where I was going."

There was a hint of irony in his voice that I didn't understand until I looked up to see glassy sea green eyes staring blankly ahead into space. He was blind.

He must have sensed my horror because he smiled a crooked grin.

"Don't feel bad, I've been like this for years. I'm used to this way of life by now. I've figured out the easiest way to get around."

I couldn't help but chuckle.

"Well, I'll never understand how you do it as I can barely get anywhere without bumping into something and I have perfect vision. Supposedly anyways."

He chuckled.

"Yeah, I was the same. I'm Percy by the way."

"It's nice to meet you. I'm Andromeda. Now, I've got to get to... Mr. Blofis' English class, wherever that is."

"Oh that's a piece of cake. Paul, Mr. Blofis, is my stepdad. Also, his classroom is right next to my next class. Follow me."

Over the next month or so, Percy became like a big brother to me. When I had my first run in with the jerks of the school, he stood up for me.

I had been coming back from cheerleading tryouts and had decided to see Percy at the pool. He was an amazing swimmer. I had just walked out of the pool room when one of the big football guys came up to me, flirting. When I rejected him, he got annoyed and his buddies came towards us. 

As he got me backed against the wall, Percy came out making the jocks laugh.

"Hey guys look, it's poor blind Percy." Jayden said.

Gordon decided to add in. "Yeah, the teachers pet."

I was worried for him but Percy looked unfazed as he leaned casually against the doorway of the pool room. Somehow, he looked both calm and alert at the same time.

"Honestly, I don't know why people call me that. I barely passed my classes for the first three years of high school. Even now, I'm only getting about 75-80% in my classes. Other than gym of course. You knew that though, didn't you Liam? After all. That is a class that I'm doing better at then you." Percy said with a smirk though unlike his usual laid back smirk, this one showed a new side to him. This side was dark, hard and sharp as a blade.

The leader of the pack, who just so happened to be Liam, growled and went to punch Percy in the gut. I let out a squeak of alarm but it was pointless. He side stepped the fist and spinning, he kicked Liam in the back, sending him sprawling to the floor.

With an amazingly well aimed kick, Liam was knocked out.

After that they all backed off. Percy held an arm out for me to take to lead him outside.

"Let's go Meda" he had said.

He didn't seem to want to mention it so I didn't say anything.

It's been about a week or two since that little incident and there was a new girl coming to school. 

This morning I met Percy out front as usual.

"Hey Meda!" he said, a huge smile on his face.

"Hi Perce!" I said giving him a hug.

"Hey, I just wanted to let you know that I won't be able to walk you to your first class because there's a new girl in my grade and I'm showing her around the school."

I frowned. Usually, girls either flirt with him or made fun of him because he's blind.

"Don't worry Meda, it's gonna be fine. I'll still see you at lunch, metaphorically at least." He said with a laugh.

"Alright, are you going to wear your shades?"

"Nah, you know I hate them."

"Well, just be careful."

He gave a mock salute.

"Yes ma'am!"

I watched as he walked inside and sighed. Percy was like the older brother I never had but one of these days he was going to get himself hurt.

I sat impatiently through each of my morning classes and rushed to the cafeteria. Percy was sitting at our usual table with his arm wrapped around a beautiful girl with blond curly hair. I'd never seen her before so I assumed that she was the new student.

"Hey Percy, who's this?"

"Hi Meda, this is my girlfriend Annabeth. She just transferred here. She was the new student I was showing around this morning."

To be honest, I was a bit wary of her. Percy is the older brother I never had and if this girl hurt him, I don't care how fit she is I will find a way to take her down.

"And you didn't tell me?! This is great Perce! How long has this been going on?"

Percy beamed in my direction, putting his head on the girl's shoulder.

"We've been dating for almost two years now but we've known each other since we were twelve years old."

With that sentence alone, I completely relaxed. I highly doubted that she would break his heart. The girl, Annabeth, studied me with her intelligent grey eyes and I'm pretty sure I saw approval in her eyes at my protectiveness. That is what sealed the deal. I shipped them.

We spent the rest of lunch talking and laughing together. When it was time to go to class and the three of us split off, me going one way while Percy and Annabeth went another way, I watched as Percy wrapped an arm around Annabeth's shoulders and allowed her to lead him expertly.

That is how I met Percabeth.