Chapter 45

Friday

"You look dead," Olivia commented.
"I am dead. Aren't we all? What even is feeling alive?" Courtney uttered. She was leaned her face against her locker door. It looked quite odd but then again, she was having an off day. Morning.
"Did you sleep at all? Look at me," Olivia grabbed Courtney's shoulder and directed the blonde to face her. Okay, it was a lousy makeup job today but it wasn't that. It was the expression painted on her face that worried Olivia. Courtney looked back up.
"It wasn't sleeping. It was dying. So I went to the underworld and I met up with someone. I'm exhausted. I topped for the first time in a while you know?"
"Wow, sounds like you have experience. All night?" Olivia went back to her locker.
"I don't know. Count the scratches on my back, that should show you how long-" Courtney stopped abruptly. It felt weird. It felt icky. Was she really going to talk about this to the one person she realized she has deep feelings for?
"How long what?" Olivia asked, her voice light. "We're best friends. Aren't we supposed to talk about this to each other?" She glanced up to her friend, and caught her sympathetic eyes. "Is everything okay?"
Courtney shook the look away. "Well BFF, everything was okay. Then I died. Are we carpooling to the party again?"
"Swift one babe. I think we're all going to end up drinking. Do you think you're cool sister would mind handling a few drunk teenagers?"
"That's a lot to ask. Not a lot that I have against her too. Let's talk to the guys about it."

"Noah, I need you to check on the girls. Please, make sure nobody is bringing anything up to them. Keith, we need to talk," Shayne said. His voice cracked with worry near the end. Noah was quick to nod and rush to the girls' lockers.
"Everyone is crazy! It's like when the rumours started but worse! Do you know what happened?"
"Not a clue, I didn't even get to hear any gossip. Let's just wait for Anthony because you would be his first stop right?"
"With a million new rumours, damn straight."

"Keith!"
"Ding, ding, ding. Would Anthony Padilla please step up to the stage, you're prize is-" Shayne joked. He pretended to hold a mic in his hand, however, Anthony ignored him.
"If you want to keep this from Courtney and Olivia, you'll need a miracle," Anthony started wavily.
"Well Noah's watching them. He's a miracle on himself-"
"Cute. Really cute. Anyway, I got word that David Moss started all of it. He's not a bad guy actually. He was in my gaming club before Ian and I quit. But he said how cute they were acting together when he was with them, which I don't know when," Anthony explained.
"Dammit we have to talk to him. What're the rumours?
"That they're dating. Duh. That Olivia is still pretending to be straight. That James is a beard. A lot of basic stuff resurfaced."
"Okay, do you think you can talk to David?"
"I can. Just keep the girls' free from it okay?"
"We have been, we'll keep doing it."

"Yeah, but it isn't," Noah answered awkwardly.
"Or a yogurt brand?" Olivia asked.
Noah shook his head and forced a smile. When he went up to the girls, they started asking about Courtivia. What that meant.
"Nope, it's just a term to refer to both of you. Courtney-Olivia. Courtivia. Anything else?"
"Yeah, what is the birds and the bees?" Courtney joked in a childish tone.
"You don't have to worry yourself about that young one." Noah grinned. "Such knowledge should only concern those who need to use it."
Courtney immediately looked offended. Olivia bursted out laughing and Noah was just glad he got them to stop talking about Courtivia.
"Noah Grossman! You sly motherfucker. I'll have you know...Actually you don't need to know. I'll leave my partner in crime to answer your lame ass questions." Courtney turned around swiftly and marched off. Olivia smiled as she watched her, then she turned back to Noah.
"Anything?"
"Yeah, what was she talking about?"
"She's not a virgin by a long shot if that's what you thought. In fact, just last night-"
"Okay you can shut up about her sex life," Noah interrupted, choking up by how nonchalant she spoke of it. "In fact, never bring it up again. I take it everything is fine here, I'm going to go," Noah rushed off. In search of his boyfriend and Shayne.
Leaving Olivia to wonder, what would be wrong in the first place.

"Shayne, this party tonight won't help anything!" Noah asserted, breathing heavily a bit from his run.
"Why what's wrong?"
"Well Courtney is seeing someone. If she's bringing her, then she's leaving with her. Know what I mean?" Noah made an air hump gesture.
"I would've understood without that Noah. Don't do that again-"
"You're missing the point! Our valiant efforts for Courtivia won't work tonight if she has another girl by her side. What do we do?"
Shayne thought for a few seconds. "We do what we know best. Initiate operation Squad Comma 1!"
"Wait what the hell is that?"
"We do what we always do. I'll be like, oh shit, there's a lot of people, can we go to a more private area so I can calm down. You tell Courtney maybe it's best if she leaves her friend down there because I don't know them very well. Then we get Anthony to come in and say they're starting truth or dare and we do that in private. Just our squad and Ian and Anthony. And alcohol. Forgetting about the friend in the first place-"
"So what is it that we do best?"
"We be friends. The greatest friend's ever!" Shayne stuck his finger in the air, slapped Noah's arm and ran off.