Chapter 9 - Locked Out

I opened the car door but then paused to look at him. "You haven't told me where you're going." I say.

"Like I said, none of your business."

I crossed my arms at him, "I think it is my business. What if they ask? What am I supposed to say?"

Niall groaned and leaned his head on the back of his seat while lifting his sunglasses to rub his eyes. "Just tell them I'm going to a friend's house, Dad would understand. Can you please just get out of the car now?"

Just as he said, I stepped out of the car without arguing about the unsatisfying answer he gave me. I used the elevator all the way to my room without having any problems and I feel glad. I think I kind of got a hang of this thing.

I was proud of myself to finally reach the front of my door but that happiness turned to worry after I turned the door knob and the door didn't budge.

I tried again. "Damnit please no. Mom! George! It's me!" I say, slamming the door as loudly as I could.

I realise that it was no use to slam the door since noone was there to open it anyways. People on my floor were starting to get out to find out what the noise was and shook their heads when they saw me. Even cleaners were looking at me like I was crazy.

I sat on the ground, leaning against the door in hopelessness. Suddenly I remembered I had my phone, I could just call Mom.

So I did, but no answer. I called about 10 times already but she still didn't answer. How wonderful.

They could've told me they were going somewhere, or at least gave me my own room key. I bet Niall has his own damn key room. Niall! I groaned. If only I had asked for his number incase a problem where I desperately need him would occur.

My phone vibrated and Cameron's name came on screen. Oh thank God, finally someone to talk to. He might not be able to save me from this situation, but at least he could be my entertainment.

"Hey Cameron!" I say happily. "Hey, someone's cheerful." He says.

I sighed, "Not really."

He sighed too, "Same here."

"Wait what's wrong?" I ask, ignoring my problems.

"You didn't call me by the time you got there. In fact, you didn't call any of us. I checked with them yesterday. And don't even try to tell me you just got there today, because I know for sure that you arrived yesterday." Cameron says, and I let out a sigh of relief. I thought it was about something drastic.

"Cam, you scared me. I thought it was something important."

"What are you talking about? It is something important!" He says. I could picture him waving his hands in front of him as he said that and laughed.

"Great, you're laughing now."

"Cam, look, I'm sorry. Things were a little hectic yesterday. My stepbrother-"

"You have a stepbrother?! You didn't tell me anything about that."

"Okay listen. Yes, I do have a stepbrother. I just forgot that small piece of information. His name is Niall. He isn't really much of a friendly guy. Yesterday he dressed like so sort of jock and he has been treating me like garbage." I say.

"Wow. So much for wanting a sibling, right?"

"I know! That's what I thought yesterday. Anyways, I just went back from measuring for my school uniform-"

"Uniform?! Wow, that must suck."

"Well at least I don't have to worry about what clothes to wear every week." I say.

"When the uniform is ready, send me a picture of you wearing them."

I giggle, "Sure thing, Cam."

"Anyways what were you saying?"

"Well...let's just say I went back to the apartment to find nobody home. And...I'm locked out." I sigh.

"Call your mom, your stepdad, or that stepbrother you seem to hate."

"Can't. Mom's not answering. And I don't have George or Niall's phone number."

"Well you're dead. So you just sitting in front of the door now?"

I nodded, until I realised he couldn't see me and right away said, "Yes."

"I wish you were here to comfort me. I feel so lost here." I added.

"I know. Everything is a lot more fun when I'm around huh?"

"You're so full of yourself, Cam." I say, wanting to slap his arm playfully like I used to back home.

"Hey you wished for it, not me. Anyways, I wish I could visit you there. But my mom wouldn't allow, she still treats me like a child. I need to work on my convincing skills more." He says in defeat.

"It's alright, Cam. Besides, they don't have midbreak here. I would have to start school in 2 days." I huffed.

"Wow it really does suck there."

"Jee thanks for saying that." I say sarcastically.

"Sorry didn't mean that. I'm sure things would work out. You would be queen of the school in no time." He says.

"Oh please, Niall wouldn't even admit that I'm his stepsister for God knows what reason. I'm starting to think that my appearance isn't good enough. I mean, I walked to the tailor with messy hair and I haven't even showered. Thanks to that son of a b*tch stepbrother."

"Woah okay, since when have you started swearing?" Cameron chuckles.

I sighed, then spotted someone's foot standing in front of me. I look up slowly and find Niall staring at me, both of his hands tucked inside the pocket of his varsity.

"Selena? You still there?" Cameron's voice comes through the phone.

"Um, yeah, yeah. Listen Cam, I'll call you later okay? The devils here." I whispered the last part before hanging up. I stood up and straightened my outfit before facing Niall who had his eyebrow raised.

"Devil huh?" He asks.

"Can you please just open the door?" I groaned, trying to change the subject.

He shook his head at me and walked off.