TA 9

Chapter 5

Casey's POV

I parked the truck on the driveway and got out. The sun was just setting and a thin wind was blowing. I pulled out my cushion and inspected it. My eyes had not deceived me earlier, it was dirty. I would have to use another one for a few days while I got my special one cleaned. Due to my height, I needed to sit on a cushion to be able to see when driving. It did not help that I was driving a big truck. I looked around the driveway, there was no other car around, that meant I was home alone. I rejoiced a bit, a little quiet time was what I needed. I picked up my schoolbag from the passenger seat and closed the door, locking it.

I walked the few step to the main door. I slotted in the keys and turned them. As predicted, the house was empty. I closed the door, locking it. I switched on the necessary lights, before walking up the steps to my room. As I got in, I dumped my bag on the bed, but it bounced and fell on the floor. I hated the spring on that bed.

My room was not really big, but it was comfortable. I had a single bed that lay against the wall, a two door closet that faced the bed, a desk and chair at the end of the bed and a beige couch just in front of the window. The couch looked no less than the cushion I was carrying, dirty. I climbed on to it whenever I wanted to see outside the window. There were posters of cars on each side of the square bedroom.

I lay on my bed for a while. After leaving Riley's house, Mandy and I had driven to the local garage to get something to eat, Mandy in her own car of course. It was a small stylish Audi. Her family was well off, no doubt. We had parted at the garage, where we had met prior. There was something about her quite intriguing, her willingness to trust strangers. We barely knew each other. Something told me she had trouble making friends and she definitely had her eyes on Riley, Logan and I.

Before I could sail to dreamland, my phone rang. It was in my jean pocket and the vibrations were not at all comfortable. The caller id indicated it was my brother, Calvin.

"Hello?" I said.

"Hey Cass, you home?" he enquired.

"Yes", I said curtly.

"Dad says he'll be late. I am getting pizza, vegetarian?" he asked.

There was loud chatter behind him. He seemed to be at the pizza palace already.

"Yeah, sure", I said and he hung up.

I toyed with my phone for some minutes. Soon, the peace and quiet in the house would disappear. Worse, my mood would change and the frown lines on my face would increase. Calvin was as annoying as Matt, and he lived in my house! For a 22 year old, you would think he would act mature. No, Calvin had to be on my case every single day.

Calvin was my half-brother. We had the same father, but not the same mom. Calvin's mom dated my dad before my mom, but sadly, she passed away when Calvin was 3 years old. I never knew Calvin and I did not share the same mother until I was 10. When I was born, Calvin stayed with us. 17 years down the line, things got sour between mom and dad and they decided to call it quits. In truth, mom cheated on dad and he decided he just couldn't stay in the marriage. Their divorce shattered my belief of perfect families and endless love, and truthfully affected me more than I was prepared to admit. Calvin and I opted to stay with dad. Dad and I had always been close and mom and I drifted even further apart.

I got up from the bed lazily and switched on my computer at the desk. I was not a fan of social networking sites, but I had an account on one of them. I opened the browser and entered the address of the site, just to pass time. After entering my information, I logged in. A bunch of people were online, and one particular person. He had the username uniqueone and said his name was Winston.