TA 32

Chapter 23

Riley's POV

"Fuck", I cursed as my shoe slipped in a mix of damp grass and soppy mud as I went down a slope. "Are we walking all the way?"

"Yes", Miguel said nonchalantly.

"Do you have a picture? I can instantly transmit myself there", I said as I cleaned my shoe of the mud on the wet grass.

"Show-off", Miguel said. "We have to walk".

"Great", I said under my breath.

It had recently rained and the path to wherever we were going was muddy and choppy. The clouds were still in the sky, with the smell of rain in the air.

Miguel turned a path and Isadora followed. I groaned closely behind. It wasn't until I was surrounded by tall coast redwoods that I realized I had been there before. In a quest for adventure, Casey and I had cycled our way through the tall trees and turned towards the stream on the other side.

This time though, it didn't seem like we were turning. We ventured on into the fog-laden forest. The fog became thicker and thicker as we walked on. I could barely see my hands. I couldn't see Miguel and Isadora, but my body was drawn to them. I followed on, wondering how long we would have to walk in there.

As if governed by my thoughts, the fog cleared and we were greeted by dry land. It didn't look like it had rained at all. The trees here were more spaced and seemed to go on into the clouds. Each of the trees had black vines growing on them like spider webs. A little in front of us was a cave that had the same vines growing on the outside walls.

I noticed there was a body just next to the entrance of the cave.

"Miguel, what's that?"

"The mother of your children", he replied with a smile.

I raised a brow and he just kept smiling at me. I ran over to the body of girl and kneeled down in front of her. Her hands were tied together behind her and so were her ankles I had only to touch her arm and the world seemed to dissolve around me and I was greeted by darkness.

I heard the shrill cry of a baby.

"Riley?" someone said my name.

The darkness dissolved and I was brought back to the present. My eyes were greeted by the image of Amanda Cornwall looking at me with fear in her eyes. She was no longer lying limp on the leaves-covered floor.

"Riley? Thank God. I was so scared. Please take me home," she shouted frantically.

I looked behind me at Miguel.

"Emily told me you had a girlfriend. I did some digging. Your powers started acting up the moment you met...her", he said indicating Mandy with his head. "With everything that's gone into finding you, Isandro thinks it's wiser if you make the future Awakener now. He will grow here surrounded by his people and be tuned to our ways".

"You kidnapped her?" I asked.

"We can't wait on your charms my Lord", Isadora said. "Your mother caused a great deal of work for us. We don't want a repeat"

"Riley, what's going on?!" Mandy shouted again, bringing my attention back to her. She was about to say something when she noticed Miguel. She backed away slowly, realizing him to be her kidnapper.

"You are going home princess", I said.

I had no more doubts that she was the chosen one. The shrill cry of a baby I heard just after I touched her confirmed that.