TA 34

Casey's POV

"Pee on the stick and wait 2 minutes; if I get two blue lines I'm pregnant, if I get only one, I'm not", I said to myself and chuckled.

Maybe I should have bought the digital one, I thought.

"Why am I doing this?" I asked out loud.

"Okay Cass, let's pretend you can get pregnant. Pee on the damn stick"

I groaned at I let myself into the toilet and pulled out the pregnancy stick from its package. I looked at it for almost a minute.

What was I doing with a pregnancy test?

According to my biology teacher, human males couldn't get pregnant. According to nature, there was no way I could be pregnant, but why did I feel pregnant? I had all the pregnancy symptoms, including the nausea and vomiting, repulsion to certain foods I used to like, cravings and the need to go the bathroom every few seconds. I felt pregnant, never mind the fact that I had never been pregnant to even know what it felt like.

I pulled down my pants and positioned the stick better so I could pee on it. I managed to get a few drops on my hand, owing to the fact that I was shaking. This was ridiculous!

I closed the toilet lid and put the pregnancy stick on it so I could wash my hands and set the timer. When the pregnancy test came back negative I would look back at this moment and laugh my ass off. No guy had ever done that, because no guy had ever been pregnant before. I was the only idiot. Seriously, was I going crazy? It was absolutely impossible for me to be pregnant.

"Cass, I need to pee!" I heard Calvin's voice. He was standing right outside the door.

"Come back another time", I said.

"Weren't you in here like a few minutes ago?" he asked.

"Go away!"

Calvin groaned. I heard his footsteps walking away from the bathroom and I took a relieved breath. I wasn't relieved for long, my phone beeped.

Two minutes had passed.

I walked over to the bowl and grabbed the pregnancy stick. My eyes almost fell out of their sockets.

Two lines were displayed neatly on it.

My heart dropped for a second. I chuckled humorlessly. I must have done the test wrong. My hand had been shaking when I peed on it. There was no way I was pregnant. I didn't have a goddamn egg.

"Cass, come on!" Calvin shouted.

"This isn't the only toilet in this house!" I retorted.

"It's the most convenient", he said.

I groaned.

Calvin groaned too and I heard him walk away again.

*

"I think I'm pregnant".

Matt laughed. Of course he laughed. I was being ridiculous, but all the signs were there.

I knew I shouldn't have been there telling him something like that, but I had no one else to talk to. It was that day I'd done the pregnancy test and it came back positive. I'd sat in my room for hours before calling Matt and asking to see him. It didn't bother me much looking ridiculous in Matt's living room, certainly not as much as it would bother me telling my dad such news.

"Matt, I'm serious", I said calmly.

His face grew serious too. "You're a girl?"

"No!"

"Well then Cass you can't be pregnant", he said. "Gosh, you are dramatic", he chuckled.

"Then explain to me the nausea and the vomiting and the temper and the urge to urinate every few minutes! Explain the positive pregnancy test", I shouted quietly, remembering that Matt's house was roaming with maids and guards.

"You took a pregnancy test?" he asked.

"Yeah and it came back positive", I said.

"Well, you took it wrong or you have testicular cancer", he said.

My heart stopped. Matt had reminded me of something that had eluded my mind. During the course of the year we'd learned that testicular cancer could be diagnosed by a pregnancy test since the tumors produced the same hormone as the human placenta. I obviously wasn't pregnant, so the only logical conclusion for the detectable amount of human chorionic gonadotropin in my urine had only one source.

I didn't say anything.

"Cass besides, even if it was possible for you to be pregnant, you are a virgin", he said.

"What if I do have cancer?"

"Well, we can check right now...feel for a mass", he said.

I grabbed the cushion closest to me and hit him with it. "You are not touching my balls".

He chuckled. "I was just joking. Look, take another test. Maybe the first was just faulty. If it comes back positive then you need to go to a doctor as soon as possible".

The thought of a cancer diagnosis forced me to slump on the two-man couch I was sitting on. The thoughts of chemo or radiation and the constant hospital visits had me sighing in worry.

I didn't see Matt move, but I found him standing close to me. He motioned for me to move my head and I did slowly. He sat down and placed my head in his lap.

"I didn't mean to scare you", he said running a hand through my hair. "I'm sorry Cass".

"It's not you. I should thank you actually. My mind had been so fixated on the preposterous idea that I could be pregnant, I missed this one crucial diagnosis", I said.

"Hey! It's not a diagnosis. Maybe you just did it wrong", he said soothingly.

I looked up slightly. Matt looked worried. I smiled. "This look is so not you".

He placed his hand on his chest. "I'm wounded. I have a heart", he said dramatically.

"Will you be there when I do the second one? I don't wanna be alone and I don't want to worry dad", I asked.

"Of course", he said.

"You will not see me pee", I said firmly.

He grinned. "You can be assured I don't want to see you pee. Ruins the perfect image of you".

I looked away from his eyes. They had a beautiful tinge to them, which only made me feel guilty. Here I was, crying on his shoulder knowing fully that I did not reciprocate his feelings. He could read the whole moment wrong and think I felt something for him.

Did I?