TA 33

Mandy's POV

I tossed and turned for the hundredth time. I couldn't sleep. I hadn't managed to sleep at all the previous night. The fear was surrounding me, threatening to suffocate me. The crying hadn't helped. Nevertheless, tears kept streaming down. All I wanted was to be back home with my mom and brother and for everything else to be back to normal.

The room I was in was large. It contained a huge four poster bed in the middle, hidden by red curtains around it. To the left were doors leading to a balcony. There was a couch on the right side of the bed. Other than that, no furniture could be seen in sight. On the right wall could be seen what looked like a door to another room.

The room was nice, but it lacked the comfort my room provided. I wanted to be anywhere else but there.

The main door opened, disrupting my thoughts. I sat up to see the man who'd introduced himself as Riley's dad walk in. I pulled the sheet covering me tightly and backed against the headboard. There was just something about that man that scared me. He had that aura of authority surrounding him.

"Relax, I'm not going to hurt you", he said. Looking me up and down, he said, "You are enticing to look at. My son is lucky. Let's hope you are enticing in bed too".

I twisted my lips in disgust.

There was silence as the man regarded me. I never took my eyes off him, worried he'd do something if I let my guard down. Though I was on alert, I hoped he would leave me in peace.

"Do you know why you are here?" he finally asked.

I shook my head slightly.

He smiled. "You are the chosen one".

I stared at him blankly.

"The gods of the Darkeners have chosen you to bear us the Awakener", he said. "But I do have to say, this is not how we usually get our chosen ones to their home. This time was different. You'll have to forgive us for taking you against your will. See, Riley's mom decided to be stupid and take my son away from me..." He trailed off.

I was about to speak when he resumed talking.

"Damn Margaret! Damn her! This wouldn't have happened if she'd let me raise my son. He would have known he was the Awakener, the most important Darkener there is. He would have known that the moment he was born. He would have embraced it!" he shouted. "It won't happen again. I let it happen one time; I won't let it happen again. The Darkeners will awaken. Our superiority will reign. Darkness will reign".

I gathered enough courage to ask what I had been dying to ask. "Excuse me...sir, what are Darkeners?"

His lips twisted into a smile. "Let me tell you a story".

"A million centuries ago, in a town called Ruby town, there was a great sorcerer named Allric, my great great-grandfather. He was a master sorcerer. He could conjure a lot of things from nothing. He could conjure jewels of all sorts. Many say he got his powers from the darkness. He was weaker by daylight and stronger when all that surrounded him was darkness. Even with all the wonderful things that he could do, he was unappreciated. Other sorcerers jeered that he was not a sorcerer if he could only perform at certain times. He was humiliated. One day, he had had enough. Through a series of spells and potions, he unleashed darkness into the world. That way he could have his powers at any time". He paused and sat on the bed.

"The darkness however, turned whoever it came across into creatures that fed on pain and suffering of others and almost contained the same powers as Allric himself. Thus an army of Darkeners was formed. In Ruby town, there was another great sorcerer by the name of Cairo. Cairo put a curse on the Darkeners as a way of destroying them. Allric counter-attacked, but could not eliminate the curse entirely and so the curse was changed slightly. Think of it as the tale of sleeping beauty if you may. It prohibits us from using our powers until a male descendant of Allric awakens us. Not just any descendant though, a descendant born to the chosen one, who is the descendant of whoever Cairo's magic hit when it bounced. The Awakener is born with full powers. I was the Awakener before, Riley is the Awakener now and your child will be the Awakener in the future. However, if two generations of Awakeners do not perform their duties, the curse takes full effect, destroying every living Darkener. The Awakener may not have children with a woman who is not a chosen one. That renders him impure and all the children and their mother must be killed to restore the Awakener's purity".