TA 30

Chapter 21

Casey's POV

"Are you okay? Did he hurt you?" I asked Matt frantically, checking for open wounds.

Matt pushed my hand away from him. "I'm fine", he mumbled.

I was taken aback by the move. I shrank backwards, casting my eyes down.

"Did you see him? Do you believe me now?" he asked.

I nodded painfully, as more tears rushed down. My heart refused to believe everything I had seen. It had to be a dream. No human being could do what Riley did.

Riley and I had played a if-I-had-superpowers game at some point. We jokingly said the things we'd do. At that time it had seemed fun. Now, I wasn't so sure. It was scary, especially because everything had happened so suddenly.

I was awed by what he could do. It also freaked me out that he could do that, and when he threatened to hurt Matt more than he'd hurt him, I just broke down. This was not the Riley I knew.

"Last night when he just... just vanished, I thought I was hallucinating because of the beating. That's why I didn't tell you about it", he said.

"...but he has to be human Matt, he has to be. Maybe it's an experiment gone wrong, maybe..." I had nothing more to say. I was deluding myself.

"Cass, I don't kn..." Matt said but was cut off by my phone ringing.

The caller id indicated that it was dad. He even had his own ringtone.

"Dad?" I said.

"Cassidy Stone, where are you?" he barked, and then softly, "are you okay?"

"Yes dad I'm fine. I went to see a friend. I texted you. I wasn't aware it was this late. I'm on my way home now", I said calmly.

Dad had no option but to agree. When he hung up, I looked at Matt.

"I have to go", I said.

"...but it's late Cass. I thought your truck broke down", he said.

"It did...well, it still is. I'll be fine. I walked here", I said.

"I'm not letting you walk home Cass. He could be out there", he said and for a brief moment, his face was grim.

"What do you suggest?" I asked.

He looked at the bed.

"No! I am not staying here or sleeping with you. I told my dad I was on my way".

"Oh relax, I wasn't suggesting you sleep with me. I can get someone to drive you home", he said, trying to hold my hand. "You sleeping on my bed wouldn't be so bad though".

I glared at him. That guy's emotions changed in a matter of seconds. At one time he had pushed me away and now he wanted to hold my hand.

He pressed a buzzer on the side of his bed that I had not seen before. We waited in silence.

"Why do you think he hurt you? Do you know why?" I broke the silence.

"You", he said clearly.

I was dumbfounded. "Me?"

"Yes. He told me to stay away from you", he said.

"But...but why?" I asked. I still couldn't process what Matt was saying.

He shrugged.

"Mandy. He meant Mandy. She's his girlfriend and you are still trying to get with her", I said.