Chapter Thirteen

It was night and time to sleep.
Step grand mum offered me blanket to spray on the rough floor to sleep.
What was she using the money mum was sending to her for..preparing for her burial?

I lay on the blanket and covered myself with another but then I realise life was more real than I saw.
*************
"Good morning"
"Good morning"

I kept hearing the repetition of that word over and over again but from different voices.
Then laughter followed up and chattering.
I got up from the blanket which was on the floor,I pushed the door of my room which lead me to the centre of the compound.
There sat boys of my age group 10 of them and a pretty girl of almost my age too.
I came out of the room in my night wears.
The house was built like kitchen lane,rooms doesn't connect with each other,they were built with different door.

"Good morning Diamond", they almost said in unison.

"Hi".
I was confused.

"We are your cousins "
They girl among them told me.

I pouted my lips not sure .
Then I recognise Stanley,mum younger brother son.
I sat down at a space close to one of them,not sure if its a family meeting.

"I wasn't so close to your guys so I find I find it hard remembering your faces"

"Yea,you use to say crab about our house so you wouldn't visit with your mum".

I raised my eyebrows,I was capable of that,unfortunately I dont remember.

"So,is this a family meeting or something?"

"Not really but we gather in the morning to see our selves before going out"

Stanley said.

My mind doesn't comprehend that, I don't see a meaning there.

"Did grandma give her a home?"

A home,does she give out a home?,shit there difference between city boys and country side boys.

"Yea,she said she would work along with me"

I don't want to ask any question but its all confusing.

"All right guys,see you late at night"

One of them got up and left then each of them followed all going different way,until I was left alone with the girl.

"Hi",she stretch her hand in a shake. "Am Jovita"

"I am ..."

"Diamond,I know"

Of course she have to.

"Where's grand mum?"

"The market...so get up,we've got duty"

She stood up,I followed along.

"And that is?"

"From today,we would be working with a woman who owns a vegetable farm,she pays daily...what ever you get,half is for grand mum, half yours"

I nodded.

She rode me in her bicycle until we got there.
I still have body pain from sleeping on the hard floor,I felt like I was beaten with wood or even golf club.

"Do you sleep on bare floor?"
I asked on our way.

"Grand ma said she needed to train you or you would remain the  spoilt brat you always are"

"Does that mean you sleep on bed?"

"Yes"

"That's so unfair, is it because am her step grand child"

"Don't worry you would sleep with me from now on,she wanted to tame your manners,she thought you were going to scream and fight if you were offered a blanket"

"So she was testing me?"

"Yea,she was"

"Jeez,that was the hardest test I ever had"

"At least you passed"

When we got to the woman's home,she handed us large basket.

"Are you sure she can so these?"
The slender but good looking woman in her late forties asked Jovita.

"She's stronger than she looks"
Jovita replied with a smile.

We headed to the farm,we are to pick out oranges from the farm.

"You would be paid according to the number of basket you pick,she supply to a lot of market"

"Number of basket or number of oranges,it will take a day to fill these"

Jovita smiles.
"On my worst days I pick Twenty basket"

"Oh God,no"

Jovita pat my shoulder.
"Try girl,we aren't the only one here"

"Other of your cousins are here too?"

"No we all have different jobs...every second is precious,dig in girl"

She left me and began picking then I begin to see other people who came along with their basket.
All were busy,I just stood there staring at the massive orange farm.

Where the hell do I start from?
Anywhere

I questioned and replied myself.