Chapter Fifteen

I was left at home with grand ma,maybe mum learnt from her but the old woman isn't the talking type like other grand ma I have heard of,she was more reserved and gentle.

I helped her in the kitchen
I don't know the kind of food she was preparing, but am not going to eat that,never.
Some whitish paste soup which has an awful smell.

"You would die from starvation"
Grand ma boldly told me.

"Starvation is a good way to die"

And I starved until 2 p.m,I couldn't take it,I dished the porridge into a plate.
Grandma saw me,she said nothing. I grabbed a spoonful but couldn't get it near my mouth,then I covered my nose with my hand and forced each spoonful into my mouth.
I hate the smell too.
I found myself throwing up and having running stomach after then.
Grandma left me alone.

When Grandma returned she told me I would work for a woman whose business is fish farming but these time I might have to stay there.
Its the worst.
I hate the smell of fish,I can't stand it.
I told grandma but she walked away like I just wanted to avoid working.
But that isn't it,I throw up when I perceive it awful smell.
Grandma had asked if I don't eat fish.
I do,specially prepared fish,it has to be well prepared and peppered and the smell would no longer be there.
Only our home chef prepares such fish for me and since he left the house I haven't dreamt on eating one.

Grandma refuse listening to me,I kept arguing and kept talking,she did more of listening than talking yet she didn't change her mind.
You can't be selective she said.
Am not been selective I just can't stand the smell of fish.
When we couldn't reach an agreement, I went to bed.
I heard when my brothers came in but I was too angry to go to them.

The next morning, Stanley took me there,he was noisier than the rest.
Talk without a stop,he owns a truck which he used in transporting the fish to the city.
We got to the farm.I was directed to a girl who was taking me around,she showed me the ponds,the different kind of fishes,the doctors,the do and don't and the places am not permitted to go.
I tried controlling myself,every time I felt like throwing up,I held it in.
The girl noticed and asked me if I was okay,over and over but I pretended that my answer was yes while I was dying to run out.
I covered my nose with my kerchief but it didn't work.
My job was to sweep the surrounding and clean the ponds but of course with the supervision of experts.
Then I threw up,right in front of the manager,it wasn't on purpose but I did,I ended up throwing up more than five times,adding more smell to the already smelling pond.
I didn't wait for the word "you are fired"
I dismissed myself immediately.

Of course grand ma was angry.
Am too old to feed my grand children, if you can't work you can't eat.
Of course I shouldn't eat besides the don't eat healthy food.
I can't put up with this place, no way.
Grandma tabled the matter to my brothers when the returned.
Michael stole my heart.

"I would give 10 % of my monthly income to her"

He told grandma.

It was astonishing.
Just then each of my brothers promised to give theirs too.
"You shouldn't be working."
They all concluded.
"She wasn't made for that"
I almost died of love.
Then I realise there's something I have been missing.

Family.