Chapter seventeen

I left the restaurant which was located in a small,dirty environment. When I first saw it,I didn't want to go in but I don't know if I would meet Daniel again,I can't buy expensive meal for a day and starve for the next day.

I walked out,just few step away from the restaurant,I saw the little girl I had given food.
She wasn't alone,kids of her age about four of them, a woman who looks like their mum,she was holding a few month old baby, all of them digging hand into a polythene bag and eating.

They all looked at me and looked away,the food the were eating wasn't the food I had given them,they were eating something  different.
I took in a deep breath of fear,anger and Hope.

I feared that my life was becoming like theirs,eating just whatever comes my way.

I was angry because I didn't know people were passing through such when I had enough to waste.

I had hope that I could still buy food and not beg.

The entire day was kinda like a waste for me,I didn't take my bath,Daniel number was still not going through.
I slept at his door again,these time using my bag as my pillow.
My sickness was coming back again,I was feeling my head getting heavier,so was my eyes,my body became colder.
I got up at midnight, walking around looking for a shade that could warm me.
I staggered,not sure if I was going to lose consciousness or even find my way.

Then I fell to the ground and everything went blank.

"Her body is fire"
A little female voice said.

I felt a cold towel pressed to my forehead,another one running down my body cleansing it.

"Would she die?"
The voice sounded different but it was a voice of a child.

"No she just has fever"
A matured female voice said.

Then a baby cried.

"Sarah take care of that child"
The woman said.

I manage to open my eyes.
My sight was blurry,I couldn't see clearly.
Then I saw clearly,my mum caressing my body while I lay on my bed in my room.
Mum sat at my left,dad at my right.
Dad was smiling to me,apologising for making me these way.
Mum said dad was a good man.
My teddy bears all surrounded me,then doctor Happy,my personal doctor walked in.
She told me she was sorry,she wouldn't be able to drip the injection into me,that i would have to take tablet.
Then I cried telling mum that I don't need it,mum said to try,I open my mouth and let the tablet drop inside.
I squeezed my face and shut my eyes hating the bitterness and then she poured water into my mouth.
I gasped loudly.

Opening my eyes again,it wasn't mum next to me.
It was a dirty looking woman with little children.

"Who are you?"
I grumbled but my body felt too heavy stand.

"Are you okay?"
The woman asked.

"What did you give to me?"

"Some pain reliever tablet"

"What are you ,some kind of doctor?"

"It works for the children whenever they are sick"

I looked at the children.
One of them was the little girl who I had giving food.

Oh Jesus,I took drugs from these people, from beggars.

My eyes blinked,finding a way to remain firm but I know I wasn't strong enough to pretend to be strong.

"Help me up"
It sounded more like a command than a plea.

They did,they had carton spread like a bed mat,besides the cartons are empty plastics for water.
It is their home, in an uncompleted building or looks more like an abandoned building.

"You shouldn't administer drugs to someone when you are not a doctor".

"You should say thank you"
She rolled her eyes to me.

"Do you say thank you to a person who feeds you poison?"

She shut her eyes,probably regretting why she helped me.
Her baby cried,she left me,grabbed the child and began breastfeeding her.

I looked down to her other four kids,two boys and two girl,all looking six.

"Are they quadruplet?"

She claimed deaf.

"Why would you be in the cold with these children especially the little one?"

She ignored me.

"How about their father?"

"My father killed my mother and ran away,I had to too because I see in the movies that a witness is also a suspect...I don't want to go to prison for what I didn't do"

The girl from yesterday said.
I was left agape,a six years old child?

"You just expose your self,what if she's a police"
The second girl said.

"Keep quiet,the both of you"
The woman commanded.

I was speechless,I just stared at her,I wasn't so smart at her age.

"We don't know if we have a father"
One of the boys said,looking closely I saw they were twin.

"Hannah picked each of us while we were wandering about and she cared for us"

The first girl said.
I stared at Hannah as she put her unhealthy looking baby to sleep on the carton.

"I understand their reasons to beg,I don't understand yours"
I told Hannah.

"You look better than from before,maybe you can return to your home now"

Hannah showed anger.

Home,where is home?

The children all got up and left saying it was time for begging.

"Stop looking at me"
Hannah noticed I haven't stop looking at her and I didn't try to hide that,I looked back at her whenever her eyes caught with mine.

"Don't you have a home?"
She asked me.

"Home?...I don't know the meaning of that word"

"My husband worked at an electrical company, he was accused of blowing up one of the site of their client,...we've been married for 10years with no issue,I only got to find out I was pregnant after he was sentence to 15years imprisonment,the company took all we had,I was from an orphanage with no family...so when he was jailed his mother asked me not to return since she had never liked me"

What is the feeling am suppose to get when I hear such story?
I don't know exactly how to feel and what to feel,I just watch her talk.
In no time the children rush in.

"We got one,we got one"
The shouted.

"This is breakfast"
Hannah told me.

I watched as they all deep their dirty hands into the bag and eat.

"I would pass"
I told her.