CHAPTER 4- Fight the Power

Merrick was waiting for me inside when I finally walked through the door. He sat in a corner of darkness and watched me broodingly as I sat down. Did the man ever look not-constipated? Or angry? 

Warrior wolves rarely did. Their faces were often rugged and scarred, twisted with resentment or stoicism- Merrick was the first warrior wolf I had met who was handsome. More than handsome. Too bad he was a dickwad. 

My wrist and jaw barely hurt at this point and I wriggled both around until I was satisfied with their condition- jaw punches were a favourite among wolves, and I had induction soon. 

"Do they hurt?"

His voice was hoarse and raspy, almost as if he never used it. I shook my head and sat there, not minding the silence but not loving it either. His scent was something I knew I'd never get used to- leather and lemon with undertones of pine. 

"There are rules I want to be made clear" Merrick murmured, demanding my attention. And I knew, if he kept talking I would be pissed off so quick my attitude would get whiplash. But like the lovely guest and 'mate' I was, I let him continue. 

"Don't talk back to me" 

"that's an immediate no go for me Mr Enforcer" 

"I don't care" 

I shrugged, examining my nails. "I warned you beforehand" 

He raised a brow, scowling at me already. Perfect. "Don't touch other males"

"Are you going to touch other females?" 

"Why wouldn't I?" 

"Then that is no go number 2 Mr Enforcer" I shot back, feeling my wolf hackles rise despite the lack of even slight like in this relationship. He growled loudly, fist smashing down hard on the table in front of him. "You better listen and apply all my fucking rules Karen Jezebel Jay" 

I shrugged again, tired of the banter. "Intimidate me all you want. Hurt me all you want. I've dealt with worse than the likes of you" 

His face grew dark, as if he was thinking. It must have been a long and lonely road for that thought. "My last rule is to do whatever I say" 

"That doesn't seem to be working out well for you right now does it?" 

He roared, canines snapping down and in front of me in an instant. "Don't anger me Karen. I'll make you submit if I have to" 

I pushed back, rising to my feet and lifting my head to meet his blazing eyes. "Try. My father had been trying for eighteen years and I am still me. My own father has beat and humiliated me countless times, and he was the one to shun me and force me away from my family. You can do nothing that will rival that pain- rejection included" 

I stepped back, reigning in my temper to try and see beyond the misogyny. I never had to do that with my father- because dominance was all he was made of. 

I could see Merrick was made of more. "But. If you want to try, try and make something good out of what the Moon Goddess has given us, then I will try also" 

The branch of peace was extended. 

And he stood there, eyes intense on mine, before walking away and slamming his door. Looks like I would be finding out where my room was. 

******

An induction to a pack was no small event- especially for someone who was as Pack famous as I was. "Rebellious daughter kicked out by own alpha father for disgusting actions to heroic, warrior mate"