Chapter 18- Hazelnut

I have been avoiding my responsibilities and it is all catching up to me. Btw, I've been on holiday so sorry for no update. 

But I don't think I'll get anymore out for a little while- have hella assignments to do that are due pretty soon. 

My legs were sore, which was interesting considering it was my abdomen that had nearly been bitten through. The wounds had healed, very slowly for a werewolf, but I was still heavily bruised. 

All in all, it was hella boring. 

"Don't walk too fast, you'll hurt yourself." Merrick murmured, helping me out of the car. I rolled my eyes, grabbing his shoulder. 

"Please stop. I know you're caring for me, and I'm touched, but I just want you to stop treating me like something fragile." 

Merrick's face shut down as he closed the door, taking my bag before I could shoulder it. "I'm treating you like my mate." And there was a note of apprehension, of anxious worry that made me bite my lip. Luna Grace had told me that Merrick never let people in, and had never tried to get close to anyone. 

He didn't know a lot about relationships- and neither did I. My heart warmed, and I clicked my tongue. "Can't believe you just said that. Now I can't be mad at you." 

Something close to a smirk flashed on his face, before it was gone just as quickly. I looked around, leaning on his arm as he placed a hand on my waist, walking slowly with me to the building. 

"You know, I'm going to have to walk by myself for the rest of the day. With my bag." 

That sly smirk again. "Bane is going to help you. He'll be here when the bell rings and I have to go and do rounds." 

What the- he had everything planned out. I sighed, pressing a hand against my forehead. "Are you going to go all Enforcer protective wolf on Bane?" 

"Already have." 

Dear lord. But I still smiled anyway, touched that he would care this much. 

_____________

Bane kept his arm around my waist, helping me limp out of school as he carried my bag and protected me from the incoming wind. We walked out into the parking lot, waiting for Merrick to come and pick me up.

"So, you up for training tomorrow?" I asked, raising a brow as I winced. Bane scoffed, turning to me with an incredulous look on his face. 

"Karen, you need to rest. I can't believe you would even..." He shook his head, wavy hair flowing around his face. "No. I'm not up to training tomorrow, especially with my trainer barely standing." 

I huffed, indignant. "Wussy."

"You're the wussy for being unable to deal with your own pain." 

I was feeling very personally attacked right now. 

"Fine. But you are going to continue training. Up your cardio and work on the timing of your shifts. Since you're such a big wolf it is bound to take longer, but we want you to be as quick as possible, especially in the war front." 

He nodded seriously, that determined stare crossing his face again. 

A Jeep pulled up in front of me, with the scent of leather and pine hitting full force. Merrick jumped out before I could even take a milimeter of a step towards the door. He nodded to Bane then not-so-subtly pushed Bane's arm away and replacing it with his own. 

I rolled my eyes but leaned into Merrick, grateful for the help he was providing. My abdomen had started to ache in the middle of the day, and was now a steady throb pulsing through my body. 

Damn my sucky werewolf healing. 

I waved good-bye to Bane then slid into my side of the Jeep, pushing my seat back so I could lie down a little. Apparently nearly being bitten in half meant I would be in pain for quite a while after. 

"Why are you healing so slowly?"He murmured, tone grave. 

I winced, running a hand through the tendrils that had escaped from my haphazard plait. "My healing has always been much slower than other wolves. My old pack doctor said it was because my wolf was so big that my smaller body took a bit more time to heal. My proportions are all out of whack."

He glanced to me, a flash of red. "My wolf is bigger than me, I heal just fine." 

"You're huge in general. " I deadpanned. "And, your body has probably had more time to get used to your bigger wolf body." 

Merrick stayed silent for a moment longer before nodding, but he still turned into an unfamiliar building.

"Where are we?" 

He hopped out of the car and helped me out, placing a gentle hand around my waist. "We're at the pack healer's house. He said he wants to talk to both of us."

I gulped, stiffening a bit. I might be a huge wolf and a warrior woman, but still being told that someone wants to 'talk to me' scared the shit out of me. 

Merrick seemed to sense my discomfort and turned to me, red eyes serious and on mine. 

"I'll kill him if you don't like any of the questions." 

And in a really, really whacked out way, that made me feel safe. Maybe just a tiny bit happy.