Chapter 12- Kitten Has Claws

I woke up to find the house empty, but a bowl of cereal and some fruit salad sat on the bench, with a small note attached to a cup of milk. My brows hit the roof, and the scent of Merrick lingered around the food.

Go to the Alphas without me.

-M.

He definitely didn't seem like the note writing type- and his handwriting was surprising too. Even and clear with just a hint of scratchiness, it showed his personality. Confident, brooding and more than a bit rough around the edges. I wondered where he was for a moment, before

I shrugged and pocketed the note, happily munching on the food he had left me. A part of me grudgingly thought the gesture was...sweet.

Sweet and Merrick in the same sentence? The heavens would surely break open. But when I went outside, it was sunny and bright. 

The Alphas were up and ready by the time I got to their home, and I escorted them back to the pack hall- where all the other Alphas waited, to begin the main course of agenda. My hands kept fidgeting, and I couldn't stay focused for some reason, my eyes constantly straying to the door.

It was as if I was waiting for someone. Psshhhh, as if. 

"Today we will begin discussions about new pack laws to be implemented throughout the whole world. The main topic of these pack laws, will be about the treatment of women."

In an instant, all eyes were on Alpha Luke, who calmly sat at the front of the room, face impassive. Murmurings rolled through the room, against my Alpha, and I cleared my throat loudly, darkening my face to become the lethal enforcer everyone assumed I was.

It worked.

"Law number one. No abuse or violence towards women unless they are participating in warrior training or war."

Alpha Jay immediately responded, outraged. "Discipline is a necessity in any pack and to any person, Alpha Luke. And what woman in this day and age, becomes a warrior wolf?"

Alpha Luke's lips tilted almost imperceptibly. "Discipline, Alpha Jay, is not meant to discourage freedom of thought or self. Physical harm- involving silver chains, beatings, or any sort of forced violence needs to be prohibited. And as for the second question, Enforcer Jay is a female warrior wolf."

Alpha Jay's eyes- so much like my own- flicked to me, distaste settling on his face. "She would not be what she is today without my discipline, Alpha."

"No," Alpha Luke disagreed, "She would be much happier."

To anyone, I clearly looked uncomfortable- not only because my father spoke about me with so little emotion other than resentment, but because it was true. Happiness was often in a person's own hands, a choice, but you can't help the way certain things affect you. Especially Alpha Jay's own special brand of 'discipline.'

Alpha Luke turned away from Alpha Jay, addressing the people once more. "In order to have safety and unity in our packs, we need to start identifying every member as a person- rather than someone who simply exists to serve or submit. This includes women, children and the elderly. Without women in the pack, we would not have a pack- and as such, they needed to be treated with respect. Does anyone disagree?"

Most stayed silent, some nodding their heads, others thinking. And then a few lifted their eyes to Alpha Luke, disagreeing. "Alpha Luke, women are simple creatures to define. They want luxury and someone to care for them- in return they will give us children. Why must you enforce your own pack laws onto the rest of ours? My pack is perfectly happy the way it is."