Chapter 16- Beat Down Boulevard

The title heading is from a song in Brooklyn 9-9. 

That show is the literal shit, I love it. (ANDY SAMBERG <3 <3 <3 ) 

Does anyone want to be my OBFF(Online best friend.) I need someone to talk with about hot guys and shit. The usual. PM me ;) 

----------

Murmurs erupted as soon as Merrick and I stepped out of his car, getting louder as Merrick came around to my side and helped me out. I may be a really cool, kick ass warrior wolf- but I was still a lady. 

All of the pack watched us as we came in, and I felt proud for once, and not about my fighting ability. I felt proud that my intended mate and I were strong. In all honesty, our strength was unheard of and unusual, even. No warrior wolf was meant to be able to go through the lengths that we could in terms of strength, speed, resistance and stamina. 

Especially if we weren't Alphas. 

But tonight, we were just wolves attending a ball. Effortlessly strong wolves with a high combat proficiency and the ability to run for eight consecutive hours- but still just wolves attending a ball nonetheless. 

"They're looking at you." Merrick murmured, hand hovering over the small of my back. 

I grinned, waving to the Alphas. "That's what people do when they have eyes, Merrick." 

He grunted in response, then touched my shoulder. "Alpha Luke wants me. Stay safe." He walked off, wolves parting for him like a hot knife through butter. Lyle was instantly at my side and I smiled as we surveyed each other. 

"Damn Kar, you look hot." 

I shrugged an arrogant shoulder. "I know. But what about you? How did you clean up so well? You look hella tasty." 

He laughed, passing me a glass of lemonade, and flexed an arm. "Come on baby, turn me on." 

I pouted then raised an arm, tensing my muscles and posing idiotically. "Welcome to the gun show Lyle. If you get harmed, or possibly gain an inferiority complex because of how amazing my guns are- I take no responsibility." 

We both laughed loudly, huge grins on our faces. "it's been a while. I trust things have been going well with Merrick?" 

There was an undertone of malice in his voice, something a guy best friend would never let go of when their girl was hurt. It was cute, endearing and made my heart full all the more just hearing it. 

"Yes. Things have been going...in the right direction. What about you? And your search for a mate?" 

Lyle's face scrunched up and he scratched the back of his head. "I'm not looking right now. I'm kind of trying to..move on from someone else. Because she's moving on too, and I don't want to complicate her already full life." 

Tears welled in my eyes and I took his hand, holding it tight. "Whoever you loved, was lucky to have you love her. And whoever you will love, will be the happiest, luckiest girl in the world to have my best friend fall for her." I drew him in for a hug, crushing him against me. 

"If you ever want to talk, you know who to call. I'll support you in anything that you decide to do." 

Lyle hugged me back just as fiercely, nodding on my shoulder. "Of course Kar. You're the only option." And there was a sadness in his voice that pulled at my heart strings. 

We both drew back and Lyle glanced over my shoulder. "Oops. A bit too much touching for your mate back there." 

I looked back to Merrick, who's eyes were glittering a dangerous red, body locked tight in a rage that I had seen enough of to know how pleasant it really wasn't.