Chapter 10- Put That Bass in Your Walk

This song gives me life, and I think that it's the song Karen would walk to, to be honest. If she was as confident as she used to be....I cri, but we're getting back to that. 

___

Enforcers lined the walls of the Pack hall, tall, strong, firm looking men dressed wholly in black- Caneblood pack's personal, lethal army. Of all the scarred, intimidating looking men, there was me- the slightly taller than average teenage girl who probably looked like she had just entered some ninja cosplay competition instead of actually being a pack warrior. 

But a single look from my tired, tension filled stare averted any attention or murmurings about me. Being spurned from a pack, an Alpha female and the mate to the most dangerous wolf that has ever lived really made sure your reputation preceded you. 

I sighed inwardly, flicking my braid behind my back and clasping my hands behind my back. Being an Alpha female in this room made no difference to standing, especially since the hall was filled with overpowered males. Apart from Luna Grace, who stood her ground at the front of the room, a snarl set on the edge of her usually kind face. 

Looks like we all had to become people we weren't in order to survive. 

Alpha Luke stood at the helm of the room, serene and confident in his own power over the room. He raised a hand, silencing everyone in a heartbeat. 

"Thank you all for coming to my mate's and I's pack, we welcome you with open arms." 

A few wolves raised their brows, astonished that he acknowledged his mate's ownership in the pack- it was unheard of. I held back a smile, knowing that Merrick could smell my delight. It would be almost as strong as my scent- and I smelled his almost as much. 

Leather and pine. 

"Today, we will not get into real discussions, we will celebrate the coming together of so many Alphas. First, for your own safety, I would like to assign a pair of my very best warriors to protect and guide you throughout our pack for the rest of your stay." Alpha Luke's eyes came to us, and we all split off, perfectly silent. Merrick and I came to a stop behind none other than my father. 

Gregory Jay. 

He looked the same. No sign of any emotional stress, no sign of missing any family member- black hair perfectly combed, face set into a thin veil of disgust when his surveyed me. My father immediately turned to Alpha Luke, resentment clear. 

"Alpha Luke, why is there a woman in the enforcer's ranks? And why is she the guard of an Alpha?" 

Oh. I was a woman. Not a daughter. 

Alpha Luke's face hardened almost imperceptibly, but he kept calm. "This woman is Karen Jezebel Jay, one of the most gifted fighters I have seen in my lifetime. However, if you cannot accept her as your guard, then I will gladly have her instead." 

The Alpha's voice seemed to be normal, but there was an edge to his notes that both Merrick and I noticed. Merrick's stare was on me the whole time. I grit my teeth at the silence that ensued, eyes of all Alpha's on my father and me- no, Alpha Jay and I. 

He didn't consider me his daughter, so how could I consider him my father? 

Easily. 

Alpha Jay nodded, jerking his head from me to Alpha Luke. "You. Go to your Alpha. Merrick will do as a guard." 

I swallowed, straightening my back and bowing to him, making the long walk back to my Alpha. Luna Grace's eyes watered momentarily before she blinked it away, holding my gaze and helping me stay firm. Unaffected.