Chapter 8- Like I would

Sorry dudes, have been focusing on TIT. 

_________________

Luna Grace was finding it hard to talk to me, I could tell. She constantly fidgeted, never held my eyes for longer than three seconds or asked questions that were of little consequence. I went out of my way to be very polite- I just wasn't very forthcoming. 

There was a little part of me that blamed her for what happened- blamed both of the Alphas actually. They had believed in Merrick, let the potential they saw cloud what was actually there. 

A whole lot of fucked up. 

"I'll take you to your new work place tomorrow" Luna Grace murmured, straightening into the Alpha she really was. But in the whole picture- I admired Luna Grace. She took me in and helped me, and wasn't afraid to accept whatever consequence, including my attitude towards her, was. 

"Thank you Luna Grace. I will see you tomorrow morning." 

She paused for a moment, hearing the arrival of Merrick and giving me a quick glance. "Okay. Be safe." Then she left, not looking at her enforcer who bowed his head deeply. I turned back to the window, ignoring his presence and his plentiful scent. 

Alpha Luke had designated a specific, relatively public area for our daily meetings. It was a slightly better than a coffee shop, but with a more homely sense to it. If you discounted the big and brooding man sitting across from me. 

His nose twitched, inhaling deeply and closing his eyes. Merrick relaxed a twitch more, large hands gripping the sides of his seat loosely now. 

There was a silence between us, tension and fatigue filled from my side, complete nothingness from his side. Sometimes, I wondered what the Moon Goddess was really on about. giving me this mate. 

And sometimes, I wondered if I was selfish enough to only think about myself and how he affected me. 

"your scent is stronger" He murmured, voice breaking through my thoughts and drawing part of my attention. 

Scents were always stronger when emotions were heightened. 

I crossed my legs and leaned back in my seat, head tipping back onto the headrest. I slept fitfully at Lyle's place,  constant tossing and turning that guaranteed dark circles and a sallow complexion. Most of my dreams were memories, resurfacing from my captive childhood. Bars and cages were things no animal wanted- and an animal girl was no different. 

"That wolf's scent is all over you" 

I kept silent, looking out the window and watching people walking past. Tomorrow, I started school with the Beta's daughter, and I would be subject to the stares of many, many wolves; teachers and students alike. Lyle was at work for the day, Alpha Luke had given him a job on the weekends and late nights. 

"Are you going to say anything?" A hint of annoyance skittered across his tone and I rolled my eyes, keeping my attention firmly on the wolves walking past. A particular couple walked past, so deep in love and lost in each other's eyes. 

Was that how I was meant to be? 

"Fine." 

And we spent the rest of the hour in complete, tense silence. 

____

Getting ready for school was both familiar and abnormal at the same time. It was very strange without my brother, but normal with Lyle so close. A pang of old longing ran through me, Moses's kind face filling my mind for a moment.  I didn't miss my parents as much as I thought I would- even though they had done so much to me.