For The First Time I Was Speechless

[A/N] Another chapter. Vote if you like it!

- Chloe

I stiffened a little when I saw it was Connor who was calling my name.

"What are you doing out here?" I asked him once he was about two feet away from me.

He held up a stack of paper. "Delivering papers. I could say the same for you too." He glanced over to Luke.

I pointed to Luke. "He got us detention." I didn't even bother hiding the anger in my voice. I felt two arms wrap around me from behind. Luke rested his head on my shoulder.

"Apparently, making out in class isn't appropriate," He grinned. "Freya here just can't keep her hands off me."

My jaw dropped again. I watched as Connor's eyes filled with... jealousy. I pushed Luke away from me and scowled.

"He's lying," I told Connor. "He was being annoying in class so I yelled at him and now we both have detention."

I watched as Connor eased up a bit.

He chuckled, to my surprise. "Still the same old Freya." Yeah, the one you cheated on. "Hey, I'm really sorry about bringing up what I did yesterday. It was really stupid of me."

I shook my head. "I don't want to talk about it." Can't he get the hint.

"I know, that's why I'm suggesting we start fresh..."

Did I hear him right? "Excuse me?"

"I was thinking that maybe we could be friends..." He trailed off. "If you want to?"

I thought about it. "Hmm... I think I can do that." I offered him a small smile.

"Okay cool, that's uh... great," he said. "I'll see you next period." I nodded and he smiled then walked away.

Maybe we can start fresh. I've had some time away from him these last few months, the thought had occurred to me once or twice. But I never dwelled on it any longer. It hadn't fully occurred to me until now though.

"Someone looks like a lovesick puppy." I forgot Luke was standing there.

I shook my head. "I'm not lovesick... not anymore."

"You said you guys broke up?" Luke questioned. I nodded. "Why?"

"You don't know?" I asked him.

"No?" He raised his eyebrow. He sat down and leaned up against the wall. He patted the ground next to him. "Sit."

I was tired of standing, so I sat next to him.

"What happened?" He asked me.

I sighed and wiped the hair out of my face. "Connor was cheating on me."

He stayed quiet for a minute. I don't know why he was suddenly quiet. It was kind of scary. "And you still talk to him?" He asked me softly.

"I called it off with him about this time last year. He tried to get me to get back together with him in the middle of this year. I told him no. Yesterday was the first day that I've talked to him since then."

"And you forgave him just like that?" He asked. "What is wrong with the world nowadays?" He shook his head disapprovingly.

"Nothing is wrong." I said. "I just forgave him. I can't hate him forever."

"I will never understand girls." He said offering me a small smile.

I punched his shoulder. "Shut up. Guys are just as confusing as girls."

Luke ignored my comment. "Just remember, as my potential girlfriend, you can't really be best friends with Tomato." He said.

"Are you serious?" I demanded. "You can't tell me who I can and can talk to!" I exclaimed. He's being absolutely ridiculous.

"So you're saying you still want to be my potential girlfriend?" He smiled smugly.

I covered my face my hands. "You frustrate me." I groaned. "I don't think I've met anyone anymore annoying than you."

I felt his arm sling around my shoulder. "Oh but, you know you love me." I heard him say.

"Whatever floats your boat Luke."

He let go of me and goofy grin spread across his face. "I think that's the first time you've said my name."

I laughed. "So?"

"I like it when you say it." He leaned closer to me.

Pushing him away, I said. "In your dreams buddy."

***

"Do you want to hang out after school today?" Asked Connor, hesitantly. The bell was just about to ring to signal the end of school. Connor and I were both in Maths class.

"What happened to just being friends?" I asked him.

He raised his eyebrow. "I didn't say it was a date. I just wanted to know if you wanted to hang out. Nothing else."

I thought about it. "Sure." I said, finding myself smiling.

He grinned. "Great, I'll walk you out then."

After the bell rang, Connor and I strolled out of class together. It felt like old times with him, but I'm just not sure if I want to be with him again.

I felt someone grab my arm and turn me around. "Oi, What the-" I was about to start yelling at someone.

Luke's blue eyes pierced into my brown ones. "Where are you going." He demanded.

What the hell is his problem? "I'm going with Connor, why?" I glanced at Connor and he was frowning at Luke.

"Detention, remember?"

"Damn. I can't believe I forgot!" I smacked my forehead than glanced at Connor. "Maybe we can hang out tomorrow?"

"I have footy practice tomorrow. What about the weekend?"

"I'll see if I'm free. I'll call you tomorrow."

"Yeah sure, See you Freya. Luke." He turned and walked down the hallway. I sighed as I watched him go.

"We better get moving." I heard Luke say. He grabbed my arm and pulled me in the direction of Mr Phillips classroom.

"You're right. Sorry, I can't believe I almost forgot." I said, exhaling. I never get detention so this was new to me.

"See, what would you do without me?" Luke asked as he put his arm around me.

I crossed my arms. "What would I do without you? Well, If had of not talked to you in the first place, I wouldn't have gotten detention and I could be with Connor right now."

"You'd rather be with your ex who kept cheating on you, than stay in class for an extra thirty minutes after school." Luke challenged. He pulled his arm off my shoulder. He seemed really pissed off right now.

"That class has you in it too," I snapped angrily at him. "If it was just me then I'd be okay."

Luke blocked my path and gave me a cold stare. "What have I done to you? Annoy you? And I get yelled at like I'm the ex?" He asked, angrily pointing to himself. "How is it that he gets to hang out with you and be all buddy-buddy with you, even though he cheated on you?"

I didn't know what to say so I stayed silent a minute.

"Luke-" I began to say.

"Save it Freya." He said menacingly. "I don't want to hear it!"

He turned and started running in the direction of Mr Phillips classroom.

I just stood there and watched him.

For the first time, Luke Callaway left me speechless.