Chapter 31

She was silent the whole walk to the control center. I debated saying something and saying nothing. It was hard to see her upset, but I knew that eventually she would realize why this had to be done.

"Do you understand?" I asked, my voice sharp and concise.

She looked at me with pained eyes.

"No. I don't understand any of this anymore. It's like all of our values, the things we once took pride in, are slowly drifting away with every decision. We aren't soldiers! We are peace keepers. Murdering those clones, it just isn't right," She uncomfortably folded her arms across her chest.

"I know. I'm not trying to be ruthless. I'm trying to protect you," I reasoned.

"I'd rather die than see innocents slaughtered," She countered, fighting back the tears.

"I know. That's why you're the best of me," I smiled.

"That's why you're the worst of me," She offered back.

I laughed. "Precisely,"

When we reached the control room, Rex was in the door way standing over a body of a clone. He bent down and took of the helmet. I recognized the marks on the helmet, it was Cody, Kenobi's old Commander.

My words were caught in my throat as my heart twisted. Looking at Faven I saw she was also deeply hurt by the sight. I reached for her hand and took it in mine. She squeezed it tight.

"Is everything... taken care of?" I questioned with a sad tone.

Rex looked up and stood up, throwing the helmet next to Cody's head.

"Yes, General,"

"Rex," I started, tears forming in my eyes, "you don't have to do that."

"I know," He replied and walked through the door way.

Faven and I followed. I closed my eyes walking past Cody and gripped her hand tight.

When I opened my eyes, I saw Mika sitting in a chair playing with her lightsaber, a giant smirk on her face.

"What makes you so happy?" I asked.

"Took out all these guys by myself," She bragged.

"And you're happy about that?" Faven questioned, outraged.

"Of course! I completed the mission. Why wouldn't I be happy?" Mika stood up now.

Faven shook it off and turned her attention towards Rex.

"We can't have these bodies lying around here. What should we do?"

"Throw them off the edge," He replied simply.

Faven gasped suddenly, but covered it up with a cough. I knew this method of disposal did not please her, and I had a feeling that anything we did on Mygeeto wouldn't please her.

Rex was insinuating we haul the bodies to the main bridge of the city and throw them off. The city was hundreds of feet suspended in the air, below the city was a deserted tundra filled with the crystals that made the planet so wealthy. Throwing the bodies off the bridge seemed to be the perfect disposal method, they were no longer in sight and they added to the ruggedness of the terrain below.