Chapter 3

I slowly and carefully stepped around the bodies. I closed my eyes and tears streamed down my face. The Force was riddled with their deaths; young Jedi, old Jedi, and even Padawans my age. The first face I noticed was Akilla. She was another of my friends at the Temple. She looked terrified. Her eyes were opened and I could see the dried tear marks on her cheeks. There was a lightsaber burn right through her chest. She suffered.

                I started to sob and I bent down and grabbed her hand. It was ice cold and I pulled back at the touch. When I regained my courage, I touched her skin again. It was colder where I touched her. A shiver ran down my spine and I noticed I wasn’t alone. I quickly closed her eyes and shed one more tear before standing up.

                A door slammed. I quickly ran behind a large column. That’s when I heard a familiar voice.

                “Spread out. Make sure they’re all dead, General Skywalker’s orders.” I gasped and immediately slapped my hand over my mouth. I was sure they heard it.

                It was Rex; the clone who was so faithful and loyal to Anakin. There were footsteps, and then gone.

                “Stop,” Rex said when I gasped. I closed my eyes and tried not to breathe.

                “Find them and kill them.” Rex ordered. Who was Rex? Rex would never do this willingly. He must have been under the control of someone or… something.

                There was no more time to debate the loyalty of clones. The footsteps were getting closer to my column. There were maybe a dozen clones, but that was a rough estimate. I was out of options, all but one: climb. I could climb the pillar. So I did.

                The only thing that was running through my mind then was: I’m going to die.