Sixty Seven-Winds Of Change

Lapis's pov

The courtyard was almost empty. Most people were waiting for the bell to ring inside, and everyone else was going up the front steps.

I stopped in the center of the now abandoned courtyard and stared into the sky, catching a snowflake with my tongue.

There was a slight breeze and it was cold, but it was silent other than the sound of the wind, and it was peaceful.

"Laaaaaaapiiiis!"

"Huh?" I turned around in time time see Mangano leap through the air and knock me over with a hug. "Hey!" My hat fell into the snow and my scarf unraveled.

"I'm sorry Lapis, it's just that it's been two full weeks since I've seen you! Did you get my present?"

"Yes, now get off!" I pushed her off of my chest. She helped me up and grabbed my hat while I dusted off. "You're going to get me killed some day." I said, taking my hat from her.

"I know." We walked up the steps of the school, opening the heavy doors to find ourselves blasted in the face with heat.

"That's not really something to be proud of." I said, walking down the hall towards my locker. I was surprised to see standing beside my locker, my cousin.

"Lapis!"

"Sapphire?"

"I'll just go..." Mangano said, walking away.

"Uh, hey. How's it going?" I asked.

"Good, thank you." We were silent for a moment.

"Sapphire, I'm sorry. Really. I was upset, and I said some things that I shouldn't have, and it was uncalled for."

"Lapis, it's okay! Actually... I came for your help. My mother won't listen to me. She won't even answer my calls. But your mother might be able to get through to her! Maybe you can-" I shook my head.

"Our moms haven't been on speaking terms for years. You know that. The dinner party was supposed to patch things up. But my mom called yours out after she kicked you out... Maybe I could offer you a place to stay, and some support, but I doubt you'd want anything from me-"

"No, please! I need your support right now! We're family. Family stays together." She wrapped her arms around my stomach(her being so short and all).

"We'll figure this out Sapphire. I promise."

(A/N) *screaming about happy lappy chappy* yes, I know, it's short, and I meant to do a chapter about new years resolutions, but oh well.

Random fact of the day:Opal's new years resolution(which I have mentioned she never fails) is to worry less about Pearl and more about herself.