Chapter 6: Deception

You spun around.

Sitting on the bench under the gazebo was a boy with violet hair and the bluest eyes you had ever seen. He was leaning on his wrist, staring at you with a tilt of the head. But it wasn't the hair or the eyes that caught your attention the most. It was his uniform. His black uniform.

"Who are you?" You asked, not sure you'd get a straight answer from this guy.

"I'm Avery..." He said.

You looked past him to where you thought Simone had run, but there was no one there. Just castle walls low enough to see the edge of the lake. 

"Have you seen anyone go by here?" You asked, walking up to him. "A girl about my height, with black hair."

The boy smiled as wide as the cheshire cat and simply peered at you through hooded lids.

"I might have," He said. "I might not have."

You raised your eyebrows at how unhelpful he was being.

"You look like the lost one here." He said slowly. 

"I'm serious." You said, crossing your arms.

"Nice to meet you, Serious." He replied, standing up. He held one hand behind his back and extended one to you, to shake it.

You sighed.

"Y/n." You told him your name. 

When you gave him your hand, he swiftly raised it and gave it a soft kiss. But his eyes didn't leave yours.

"Nice to meet you then, y/n." He said happily, letting go.

You didn't know how to react, but you suspected there were a lot of rich, or foreign students here. You just hoped he didn't see you blushing.

"Well, I should- go- and they're giving a tour-" you stuttered to break the silence.

"You're new." He said. "And you have classes just after noon, don't you?"

You nodded. He suddenly placed a casual arm over your shoulder and began walking.

"I know the school better than any second year, that's a guarantee," He said. "If you want, I could even give you a tour of the night class."

His voice was like silk. The rest of the second years were already in the castle somewhere. Even if you wanted to catch up with them, how would you find them?

"Or I could help you find your group," He said, as if arriving at the same thought. "Just as long as they don't see me."

You stopped walking. But he didn't take his arm off you.

"You're not supposed to be here, are you?" You asked him even though you already knew.

He rolled his eyes playfully.

"Not exactly." said Avery. His blue eyes darkened suggestively. "But I hear you were the reason Bel wasn't where he was supposed to be. So it sounds like nobody is where they're supposed to be."

"What's it like in the night class?" You asked. He began walking again. Wait, he knew about Bel?

"It's amazing. So much to learn. So much to do. We just love being busy at night and having nothing to do during the day." He said sarcastically.

"Really?"

"It's fine." He said. "There aren't as many of us are there are of you though."

You found yourself walking through the garden, surrounded by roses and other beautiful flowers. You were surprised they were in such good health, despite it being early fall.