Chapter 25: The Creatures Almanac

With realization spiraling inside your chest, you spun around to the figure behind you. You breathed a sigh of relief.

"Hey y/n." Said Theo cheerfully. "Didn't mean to startle you."

"Don't sneak up on me like that!" You chastised. "You're worse than Roman."

"You mean our friend you've been gallivanting around with over there?"

Theo nodded behind him to the orange haired night student, his face in his hands. Lucian made his way over from the dark concealment of the castle pillars. 

"Hello Theodore." Lucian greeted. His gaze searched Theo for something you did not understand. "Roman and I were just leaving the library."

"You wouldn't happen to have seen Avery anywhere, would you?" Roman asked. His voice startled you- was he there a second ago?

Theodore seemed to step closer to your side.

"I patrol you during the night," he said calmly. "You're not my responsibility during the day." 

Lucian looked at Roman who just scoffed at your friend, without a care. What was going on?

"Is that what this was about?" You asked. "You're using me to look for Avery?"

It was a small thing, but you felt used- especially by Lucian. Maybe he sensed this because he put a hand on your shoulder.

"Avery has been... running away from the consequences lately." He spoke with a soft voice. 

"Besides, you offered to help." Roman countered. 

Lucian lowered his hand, as you grew tired of the lack of answers. 

"Why are you so worried about Avery anyway?" 

Theodore quickly hid a smirk.

"Nevermind." Roman shut you down. "Just- we'll see if he shows up to class later."

"I'm sure that's where he'll be." Lucian offered. "We appreciate your help, y/n."

Lucian gave you a polite nod before catching up with Roman, who had already begun to walk away without a word.

"What was that all about?" You asked your red-haired friend. Theodore shrugged in amusement.

"I don't know why they're always after Avery..." He said calmly through hooded eyes. "Avery isn't the only thief around here."

Visions flooded your mind of you running through the night with Simone. He was right. And you were sure there was more to it than you were willing to admit.

After Roman's failed ploy to get Avery to show up, you headed back to the dining hall with Theo. For a while it was just you and him, talking about the day's events and yesterday's confrontation with the night girls, but Simone arrived soon after, followed by a passive Eleanor. Everyone seemed tired- but you had your own reasons. 

Avery unintentionally crossed your mind more than once over the clatter of forks and knives, like a visitor overstaying his welcome- you couldn't get him to leave. Luckily, the toll of the bell meant curfew was beginning- and so was patrol. You hoped the purple-haired nightmare would show up to class so you could set your mind at ease.

You couldn't say exactly why, but you felt if there were anyone you'd want to know the whereabouts of, it was Avery, and his smug grin that glossed over his dangerously blue eyes.

As night fell, you became more accustomed to crossing the night students' bridge, although the low draping fog didn't help ease your apprehension. Sylabil greeted you out front again; something you were told would happen less as you became used to the job.