Chapter 26: Unraveling

The next day was forgotten, for lack of a better word. Your body was in a chair, in a desk, in Sylabil's English class, but your mind lived elsewhere. In a different time... in another life.

Vampires... you really must have been out of your mind.

Students scattered outside, talking, laughing; headed in every direction, as aimlessly as the leaves falling from the trees above your head. Autumn was beautiful. It all was beautiful.

Clutching your book bag, you followed the patterns of the other students. Something Sylabil said during one of last week's readings skipped a beat in your mind.

Coincidences are for those too afraid to confront the truth.

You didn't remember how the lesson ended. But you felt you'd be getting a reminder any day now.

After your last class of the day, your room became your sanctuary. All of your free time, except for a single trip to the library, was spent reading the mysterious almanac- among other books you'd found. But not once did Theodore bring up any mention of the almanac, or awareness it was gone.

To your dismay, there weren't many books on the subject of your interest - but you'd found a few. And it only increased your worries.

Did Eleanor know? Did Simone? Theodore? And the teachers- they must know. They'd have to.

Wouldn't they?

Meals were silent that day, and the next. Although, your friends chatted a bit; Eleanor noticing your fixation on your food and trying to engage in small talk. You appreciated his friendship, especially considering his recent silent treatment.

But the truth was, you felt you couldn't trust anyone. Not even Eleanor.

Before you could collect your thoughts, and tuck away any distractions, even your patrol that day was over. You didn't see Cadere, or any sign of Avery. But that didn't stop you from staying alert. You were wary of everyone.

And while the others sleepily walked back over the bridge with you that night, the gears in your head were fast at work.

After the others had fallen asleep, you went back to the common room, and continued taking notes on the night students where you were supposed to be writing literary devices. With a candle by your side, you read. And read. And read.

Until the light of the candle was outshone by the glaring brilliance of the sun.

"Were you here all night?" Simone asked.

You rubbed the sleep out of your eyes, before immediate panic rose in your chest. Your eyes darted towards the almanac.

Thank god it was there.

You hastily tucked it in your book bag, as Simone raised a skeptical eyebrow.

"What time is it?" You asked quickly.

Simone turned to the window.

"6:00am." She replied. "I hope you're not THAT behind on homework- it's still early in the semester."

"Yeah," you said, getting up. "I should probably get ready.

And with that, you carefully hid your findings under the bed- or matress, to be more precise.

The day progressed much as the last day had. Theodore was out with his other friends early on. Simone and Eleanor's attempts to talk to you mostly failed, but you lied and blamed it on sleep. It wasn't completely untrue- you were very tired.

"Maybe you should take the night off patrol tonight-" Eleanor suggested.

"No." You said without another word.