Chapter 35: Hearts of Steal

You had to stop your jaw from hitting the floor as Eleanor introduced the boy who chased the train on your way to Arcadia. The boy who was an off-centred mosaic of his younger brother. And the boy who just days ago handed you a fruit you'd never seen before.

There was no doubt about it.

But did Eleanor know?

"You didn't cause enough trouble when you were here?" Simone teased as the tall boy sat down beside Eleanor. The two were strangely similar yet different at the same time.

"I couldn't resist," he replied. Those dark brown eyes lit up with his smile.

"You should have told me you were coming sooner!" Eleanor said.

"I wanted it to be a surprise," he said apologetically. "Aren't things more fun that way?"

"Maurice is gonna be working with Sylabil," Eleanor said happily. "She's wanted him for a while but I guess you missed me too much, huh?"

"Awfully convenient to show up right before fall break," snickered Theo.

"You're quiet," Eleanor mentioned. You noticed Maurice push up his glasses before Eleanor did the same.

"Just a long day," you said.

Maurice casually took a swig from his glass, his eyes on yours with mutual curiosity.

"I think I remember you," he said.

You only became aware of your heart in your chest when it started beating in your head louder than the dining hall clock.

The others all seemed very interested.

"At the train station," he continued. "You were with El."

"You remember that?" Eleanor asked. "It seems like forever ago... and don't get started with the nicknames."

"Sure thing Ellie," Maurice pulled his brother in by the shoulder playfully. Eleanor pushed his brother away.

"Maureece's pieces, Maury, mo, MORON," The younger brother exaggerated.

"I hope you're not going to be grading our papers," Simone said.

"That's what I'm here for." Maurice smiled.

Side by side, the longer you looked, the more apparent the differences became. While both wore glasses, Eleanor's took up more real estate on his face. Aside from Maurice having much darker hair, his features were less child-like, although his sense of humour was apparently not.

The rest of supper went by without a hitch. Eleanor said something about everyone going to Delwood since Maurice "knows all the best spots," and you weren't that hungry when supper started anyway.

Kindly excusing yourself from the table, you began to head back to your dorm, leaving the conversation behind you. Something about Maurice wasn't adding up, and it wasn't helping that your skepticism about the Delwood plum boy was being reflected onto his brother- one of your most trusted friends here.  But you didn't have time to worry about it because the first thing you noticed when you got back was that the almanac was missing.