Chapter 23

Chapter 23
Diego POV

One moment, or one defining action can start a war, in this case it was one word.

"Orangutang?" As the name slipped past Kat's loose lips, did the red headed girl go flying.

And no, I don't mean she jumped on to Kat, it was her lips that started flying. Back and forth insults and nicknames were exchanged, so fast that the worlds best card dealer wouldn't be able to keep up with the speed that they were dishing out curses. Watching on in silent amusement, I could tell that these two definitely had history.

"What the hell is she doing here Reef?!" Cynthia screeched in a pitch that scratched my ears. I was almost tempted to reach up and see if my ears had burst, bleeding. But I didn't want to risk interrupting the scene before me.

"She is a murderer Reef!"

"Really? Could've fooled me, that voice of yours is killing my ears," came Kat's cool reply.

"Shut it psycho!" Her face blossomed into a fire hydrant red, almost matching her hair. "I am so going to call the cops and get you thrown back in prison!"

Kat gave a fake yawn whilst waving a casual hand, "Go on keep talking, I only yawn when I'm fascinated."

Taking the obvious bait, Cynthia played right into Kat's hands. "Oh! Reef will kill you... you...you-"

"Come on, sound it out," Kat smirked.

"You monster!"

Kat laughed before sending her a dark look, "Good story, truly riveting, but in what chapter do you shut the fuck up?"

As the men surrounding us roared with  laughter. It was in that moment did I truly catch a glimpse at Minx, the troublesome thief, and the girl she used to be. Her playful sarcasm had taken on a dark and savage twist, but beneath all that, deep down, she was still the young troublemaker. She was still the same girl, just damaged and bruised, not yet broken, despite what she may think.

Her scars do not define her, in fact they made her stronger and more beautiful. And for this, I admired her.

Taking a step back, I was able to see the full picture. With great amusement, did I piece these three people's past together.

Cynthia, the head bitch.

Kat, the mysterious, spunky new girl.

And finally Reef, the bad boy turned gang leader, who had once had it all only to find out the harshness of reality. He was a strange one this one. But no one I couldn't figure out, his story an all too likely tale.

A bad boy who thought he had found a girl who could keep up with him, a match, only to be left thinking he had been betrayed. And just as his world was collapsing, did it completely shatter when he inherited the family business that he never wanted, an ugly truth was revealed, changing him forever.

It was all in the eyes. The way this guy walked and interacted with others, his inner frustration clear as day. Ever since I stepped foot inside this house, my eyes have been tracking Reef, analysing everything.

I don't like what I'm seeing. Unfortunately, Ive grown up around guys like him, and I know how his story will end, and for once I feel afraid. Not for myself, but for Kat. I don't want her to get caught up in his mess, but I had a feeling it's inevitable.