Chapter 14

Chapter 14
Reef's POV

The familiar ring of gunshots being fired echoed inside my ears. Unlike the many men that surrounded me, I didn't feel the need to muffle the noise as it brought a sense of comfort, that others would find un-settling. The cold bite of the gun nestled inside the palm of my hand, felt like a welcoming embrace.

I could remember the first time I held a gun. It was dangerous, yet exciting all at the same time. With one simple pull of the trigger, you could decide another's fate.

Will you choose life? Or death.

That was the question I was asked. It is a question I ask myself every morning before I get out of bed. The memory of that day was still fresh, as if it was only just yesterday when my father told me the truth about my mother's death.

It had been exactly one week after I found out the truth about Kat's identity reveal and arrest....

-Flashback-

Two blondes sat either side of me, a redhead perched precariously on my lap. A line of empty shot glasses stood tall, not a drop of liquor spared.

All of a sudden, a large hand firmly grasped my shoulder yanking me upwards from my stool at the bar. "Hey man watch what your-" the slurred words that escaped my mouth came to a halting stop as the piercing eyes of my father  glared into mine.

I snorted, "What are you doing here old man? Shouldn't you be at home playing bingo?" I swiped a beer from the trey of a passing waiter. Reaching forward, he snatched the bottle from my hand, tossing a wad of bundled up bills onto the bar to cover my drinks tab. There was no give as he tugged the sleeve of my leather jacket, all the way to the exit.

I shot a devilish smirk at the ladies behind me. With one final flirty wave and a sloppy wink, was I tugged outside into the nights cool air. Shoving away from my dad, what was supposed to come out with an angry bite, only muttered past my lips, "You just cost me my bed buddies."

Not impressed, as always, he simply folded his arms across the crisp black suit he wore, his usual attire. "What are you doing boy?"

"Boy?" I lazily grumbled. "I'm a man!" I thumped my chest, eyes glazed over I leant against the brick wall that belonged to the ally.

"No your not. Your just a wasted boy, stumbling over his own words." Came the growled words of my father. Somewhere in my brain, I quietly agreed. I was a mess! After facing my own death, the girl I was starting to like behind it, I didn't know where to go. How to start again.

Non the wiser to me, did I know that my life would once again be flipped on its head that night.

"What is going on with you?" He demanded to know. To be involved with my twisted life. "You really want to know?"

In my drunken state, I could care less what I kept secret. So I told him everything......

"-And now..." I huffed out, "Now I have no idea what to do or where to go from here!" I threw my hand upwards towards the sky. Letting them fall down to my sides I awaited his answer.

Standing there he just nodded his head. There was a pause, before reaching into his coat did my heart jump at the object he pulled out. What he held in his hand, was the instigator of all my fears.