Chapter 17 - Guilt

Kytara

I remember the first time I took a life. Unlike Hopes, the person I killed was innocent. Those vampires would have tore her to shreds or dragged her back as a chew toy. They didnt beg for their lives. Hope was in hesterics. Nero tries comforting her but she pushed him away. "Hope you need to calm down" I demanded. My voice cool and calm, not a flicker of emotion. "YOU DONT UNDERSTAND!" She yells and I slam her into a tree. She struggles in my grip until I pulled her closer then slammed her back into the tree. "Listen to me Hope. I understand the angel lore. Every life is sacred, even that as corrupted and twisted as a demon deserves to live. But these monsters would have happily destroyed you. Both in body and in spirit." I said and she seemed to be hanging on to every word. "The monsters you killed were exactly that. Monsters." I told her. Trying to ignore the memories of my first kill. The screaming. The begging. I shook my head and turned my focus back to the angel. "You saved more lives than you just took Hope." I said and she relaxed in my grip and I stepped back, "be glad you didnt kill an innocent. Someone who kills murderers...arent murderers themselves.....theyre heroes" I said and she still seemed wreaked with guilt, but that was expected. Hopefully she will now have a different look on it though. She jumps at me and hugs me before she starts crying on my shoulder. "Oh um.....uh" I had no idea what to do. I myself had never been hugged and right now it was just....weird. I look at Nero who stared at me shocked. I push Hope away gently and spin her around. "Hug Nero okay....hug Nero" I tell her and he looks at me weird as she wraps herself around me. I didnt like it but I'm not hugging her....or anyone else.

That night, Nero wentout hunting for something for dinner leaving Hope and I to talk. "How do you do it?" Hope asks as she stared sown at the apple in her hand. "Do what?" I asked, sharpening my throwing blades. "Kill. Without the guilt and regret of it all?" She asks and the memories flash again.

"The women in that house has been accused of sending an assassin after the king. While her attempt was unsuccessful, the king still wants her disposed of" My master told me while I was 6. I stood there, a blade in my hands. "You kill her and the king will give you a spot in his elite guard once ive fully trained you" he tells me and I needed this. If I failed, I'm back on the streets. I nod my head and sneak through the window.

The house was well looked after, nice furniture and a big tv sat in the lounge room. I crept through the house until I reached the kitchen. A women was humming softly with her back facing me. This will be easy. I can just kill her. I creep forward but accidently trip and knock over a vase. The girl screamed and ran over to me, going to help until she saw the blade. She cowered in fear, begged me to spare her. But I had to kill her. I brought the blade down but missed my target so she was still breathing. She screamed and tried to run. I hunted her until I slashed her throat. When I got back to the palace I was told she had never done anything to harm the king. She was innocent and the guilt ate at me. I refused to pick up a knife for weeks.

"KYTARA!" Hope yelled snapping me out of it. "You didnt answer me" she says and I look at her. "Why be upset and drown in guilt about something that we can't change. When I kill, they stay dead. So why be upset if I cant bring them back anyway?" I told her and she seemed to be understanding.