Chapter 42 - Tiny Trouble

- Nate

"Grace! No! Don't touch that!" I shouted scrambling through from the kitchen to stop her from toppling over a shelf. I looked at her little innocent face, she was drooling all down her chin.

"Aww." I cooed as I picked up a cloth and started to dab her chin dry. She giggled with the sweetest of laughs. I went back through to the kitchen to finish making my tea. I heard a clatter and turned around to see my TV lying shattered on the floor. Ugh! How could a tiny little 8 month old baby cause so much trouble!

"Grace! Ugh! No!" I said picking her up so she didn't cut herself on the glass. With her in one hand my arm in the other I called the maid service to come and clean it up. Great, now I can't watch the game tonight ugh.

"Your dad is going to be very mad when he comes to get you and sees all this mess." I said kinda of to her and kinda to myself. To be honest Chuck will probably be more mad with me, not 'taking care of her', not 'watching her at all times'. Blah blah blah, whatever Chuck.

I took the little menace into my bedroom and plopped her down on the bed, she giggled bouncing herself up and down. I smiled and started to bounce too.

"Nathaniel." I heard a voice say from the hall. Crap, Chuck was here before the maids. I dashed out of the bedroom but I was too late, Chuck was standing looking at the pool of glass that was my living room floor.

"Oh hi Chuck, don't mind that." I said laughing nervously and grabbing his shoulders veering him away, he did not budge one bit.

"Did you have that lying around all day?" He said angrily.

"No! No! It just happened, the maids are on their way to clean it up!" I said justifying my actions.

"Look whatever I don't have time for this." He said staring at the wall, he always did this when there was something bothering him.

I took a guess and asked "How's Blair?"

"I don't know, I don't know." He said his lip starting to tremble.

"Hey." I said putting my arm on him.

"I don't know why Serena hates Blair, I don't know why Blair cares so much, I don't know why Blair's parents seem to care so little, I don't know how to be a good father anymore and I don't know everyday if my wife it going to be alive the next." He said on the verge of crying, Chuck never cries, well at least not infront of me. His fists were clenched tightly like if he loosened his grip he would just collapse.

"Aw man, it'll be alright. Serena and Blair will work things out, they always do and the Upper East Side isn't known for having the most engaging parents. As for being a good father, Chuck your amazing with Grace, always will be." I said sipping my tea, Chuck let his fists go. 

"Yeh." He said walking into the bedroom to get Grace. I watched from afar as Chuck picked her up and she started to get so happy, he swooshed her about and threw her up and down, she loved it. He sat on my bed and grabbed her bag with her stuff in it and brought out her favourite toy Pip the dragon that Chuck had won for her while they were all at a carnival together in the Summer. She hugged it while he put on her shoes and coat and little beret, then he whisked her up and carried her back through.

"Thank you Nathaniel." He said nodding.

"Anytime, bye Grace." I said waving, she giggled and they walked out. PEACE! The game! Woo! I went into the kitchen and got some popcorn and put it in a bowl and sat on the couch and looked for the remote, then realising as I put my foot on a sharp piece of glass. Well done ugh! The elevator opened and out came some maids I stood up getting out their way and put my popcorn bowl back in my kitchen and grabbed my coat so I could go out and get a new TV...