Chapter 58 - First Day

- Grace

"Dad!" I said happily as I came home from school. It was my first day at Constance Billards school for girls, were my mother went.

"Grace!" He said coming over and I leaned in for a hug. He held me tightly in his big strong arms. "Wow." He said stepping back and looking at me, it felt weird.

"What?" I said laughing , I looked at him and saw the mixed happiness and sadness in eyes. "What's wrong?" I asked cautiously.

"You just... you look... so like your mother." He said stuttering at every word, a single tear slid down his cheek, he wiped it away and started to smile again.

"I'm glad." I said sympathetically, it must be so hard for him to look at me everyday, reminding him of her.

"So how was your first day." He said changing subject, we walked through to the kitchen.

"Good." I replied hopping on to a stool at the breakfast bar.

"Did you get in any classes with Kate?" I said.

"I'm not sure yet, she wasn't in any today. I'm just so glad she was so smart she got to move up a year." I said happily biting into an apple.

"Well being Dan Humphrey's daughter she aught to be." He joked.

"I said I'd go meet Kate at Central Park, is that okay with you?" I asked knowing what he'd say.

"Yeh of course, I have business to attend to anyway, just be home for 9:30 okay." Dad said.

"I will." I said and skipped into my bedroom.

My bedroom had pink wallpaper with white caprpet, a lovely purple rug lay on the floor. I walked over to my dressing table and took a seat as I curled my dark brown hair. Then applied some mascara, blush, red gloss and was ready to go. I couldn't be bothered changing so I just left in my uniform. I walked to the elevator and was about to push the button when I heard faint whimpers. Glad I was wearing flats, I tiptoed silently over to the kitchen door and peered round. He was crying again, clutching the photo frame. You would have thought most people after over 12 years that someone would have moved on, not him. I walked away, it was always best to leave him, if I was there he'd just pretend nothing is wrong, I know he's still hurting, he's always hurting.

-

"Grace!" Shouted Kate running over happily. He blonde madly curly hair sparkling in the summer sun. I wish my hair did that.

"Hey K!" I said smiling as she gave me a hug. She stepped back and looked me up and down with a quizzical expression.

"What's new? Something's different." Kate said smiling.

"New Chanel shirt, my Grandmother brought it back for me from Paris, isn't it lovely?" I said twirling around.

"It's beautiful." She said as we strolled through the park happily."

-

I arrived home at 7, Kate and I got bored and just went for dinner and came home. It's for the best anyway, I have plenty of stuff to be doing anyway. Since Uncle Nate told me about how my mother used to rule Constance, they even called her Queen B, I have wanted to be just like her. He also mentioned sight that they all revolved around, gossip girl I think it was called. I can't remember. Dad got really mad after he mentioned that because he said there is stuff on there he wouldn't want me knowing, I respect that.

I spent all lunch break talking to girls to try and find the right 'minions' as what my mother had called them. I think I've found a few potential candidates.

Uncle Nate also mentioned that both my mother and my father were both very good schemers, always winning, always getting their own way. I like the sound of that.

"I'm home." I shouted as the elevator doors opened, there was no response. I know where he'll be, he'll be at 'work'.

I walked over to the coffee table and found the usual note, got some business to attend to at work, see you later. What that really means is, missing your mother, gone to get wasted, see you in the morning if I'm not too hungover. He really does try his best to hide his feelings for me but I can see through most of his efforts. I just want him to be happy, that's all I want...