~Help Has Arrived~

I was woken up by the appeasing, light hearted coos of the doves and the beautifully composed songs of the passeris. Levi was still asleep, his head resting on my chest. I didn't feel to need to wake him just yet, mostly because I forgot how nice it felt to come outside and relax for little. Hearing the passeris and the cooing doves reminded me of my grandmother's house, a place I always knew I was safe. 

   Her yard was practically a forest, green ivy covered her fence, the roses lapped whatever light they could gather from under the giant pecan tree, and the sunflowers grew mighty tall from under the feeders where the squirrels and a vast variety of birds would drop them. My grandfather loved to watch the birds so miniature houses would hang from practically everywhere, especially in the pecan tree. He'd have feeders that'd hang from a metal post in the yard along with the old fashion light post that stood next to the large tin tub that held the few fish that got too big for my grandma's tank. 

  I remember, and this has to be one of my favorite memories of her yard, there was a hammock made out of netted rope that hung from one of the many limbs of the pecan tree. I'd often find myself sitting in this hammock, enjoying the scenery and getting lost in the nature around me. I would listen to the doves and watch the blue jays and the occasional cardinal feed. I'd watch the same russet coated rat scurry across the fence along with the overly friendly, curious squirrel that'd pay me a visit and once lay a paw upon me when I was caught in my trance. 

   When I looked at my grandparents and their relationship, I've always wanted an unbreakable bond like the one they share. My great granny, Granny Bridges, told me, "Your grandma says that he's dated many girls, but I honestly think she was the only one!" They've been married for over fifty years, and everything those two experienced only brought them closer. My grandmother was a nurse while my grandfather was a soldier in Vietnam. If I recall correctly, they met during the war, when they were both only eighteen! I've heard many family members tell me, "I don't think your grandpa could live without her, he's told me that if she dies before him that he couldn't bare it, it'd break his heart." The same goes for my grandmother...

   They say that when a couple shares such a strong bond that when one dies, it doesn't take long for the other to as well. They call it Broken Heart Syndrome. Trying to imagine that there is someone out there who would love me so much that they'd not be able to live without me... It's unimaginable. But I'd want to share something so rare with that special someone. 

  I looked down at Levi's peaceful expression, I... I want to believe I've found the one, but I'm not sure how to tell... I run my hand through his silky hair and softly coo his name, "Levi, wake up, do you hear them?" His eyes were barely open slits as he mumbled, "Hear what?"

"The birds. Come on, listen to them with me." He slowly raised himself off of me and with a thud propped himself up against the brick wall. "I forgot how nice it is..." I thought out loud. He groggily nodded as he rubbed his eyes with the palms of his hands. "I'm... filthy..." I turned and looked over to him, his pale skin was covered with dark blotches of dirt and his knees had patches of grass imprints on them. I lifted a hand and began pulling the bright green leaves from his raven locks. "You don't look bad, I bet I'm worse." I stated reassuringly. He began to stare at me, "Did I say something?" I laughed nervously, but he shook his head and licked his thumb, bringing it up to my cheek and wiping off the smudge of dirt, "We're both filthy..." 

   I placed a hand on my cheek and felt my face heat up. Levi grabbed my free hand and pulled me along with him as he headed into the house, toward the bathroom. "Levi?" I pulled back to get his attention, "What are you doing?" My face was now fully flushed. He turned and gave me a deadpanned look, "Getting a shower." Oh no... I'm  imagining it... stop it! Bad me...