Chapter I: Alive

"Cheyenne," Richard gasped as he rushed to Cheyenne's side, leaping onto the bed & holding her head up onto his lap. He watched as her eyes fluttered in & out of slumber, & as her breathing grew quieter & quieter.

Richard searched his bedroom for answers. He needed to act quickly. Cheyenne could be dying. What did he have that could help her?

Richard set Cheyenne's head over his shoulder & carried her up with his arms, cradling her like a child. He went to his bathroom door & kicked it open. Richard walked over to the bathtub & set Cheyenne's body down. He turned on the water faucet, then turned the knob 90 degrees towards the hot setting. He watched as the tub filled up with steaming water. He reached for Cheyenne's hand & squeezed it tight. "Cheyenne," he breathed.

She lay still for minutes, not moving, not making a sound, not even flinching at the sensation of scorching heat. This didn't make sense. Was this really Cheyenne? How could it be here, right now? Was this real?

Richard thought to the past week & a half he spent away, chasing down a red hooded vigilante that was dropping bodies from Gotham City to Star City. He discovered the Red Hood to be none other than Jason Todd. Somehow, the fallen Robin had come back to life & was murdering criminals in hopes of gaining enough attention from the Batman to enact vengeance on Bruce.

And now Cheyenne was laying in Richard's bathtub.

Richard rubbed his face with his hands. How were people just coming back to life all of a sudden? Was this just an act of some unholy forces? Something supernatural & demonic? Was this another trick? A trap? Some result of a cloning process that went haywire? Or maybe it succeeded, & Cheyenne was the living proof. When he last saw her, Cheyenne perished in a fire in the hands of John Constantine. Cadmus cleaned up the mess, however, covering up the facts of the event. Could Cadmus have done something? Or was it Constantine?

It didn't matter. Richard would figure that out soon.

Suddenly, Cheyenne bursted out a scream of agony, splashing in the steaming water. Richard rushed to shut the water off, being splashed in the process. Richard grabbed Cheyenne's shoulders & cooed softly, calming her down. "Cheyenne, it's okay. It's me. It's Dick. I'm here now, you're safe."

Cheyenne's breathing slowed to a steady pace. She glanced towards Richard & smiled softly. She laid her damp head on his shoulder as he wrapped his arms around her small frame. "Dick," she managed to breathe softly.

Richard handed Cheyenne a blanket for her hair. She wore a towel around her body as her clothes were left drying over a rail in Richard's balcony. Richard watched as she shivered, still attempted to dry herself off. He honestly wasn't sure about his method of waking her up. He had totally forgotten attempting CPR on her, or even checking for a pulse. After all...it was Cheyenne.

"Do you...need a glass of water?" Richard asked.

Cheyenne looked up at Richard with tired eyes & nodded. "That would be good," Cheyenne said softly.

Richard got up from the bed next to Cheyenne & walked out of the bedroom, making his way through his cozy living room, to his kitchen. He walked to the fridge & opened it, grabbing a bottle of water. He glanced down on the fridge door shelf & noticed a few bottles of beer. Richard scoffed. The last time he saw Cheyenne, the two of them were sharing a beer together.

Richard opened the bottle of water & poured it into a glass. He instantly kicked himself. He didn't need to do that; he could have just given her the bottle. He turned to the fridge to grab some ice cubes, then hesitated. Should he give her ice in her water? She wanted to cool off from the bath, but, she was cold NOW. Richard sighed, walking back to the bedroom, confused & nervous. Richard smiled as he approached Cheyenne, handing her the glass of water.