Chapter XIV: Faster than Him

Richard drove the car with Victor in his passenger seat & Logan in the backseat, talking to the two about some gibberish involving Big Belly Burger & a horse. Richard had tuned out the young boy 20 minutes ago. He was deep in thought, considering what would happen once Richard inducted everyone that was required to fully stop the Dominators.

According to the Scarab, Evelyn Sharp was the marksman archer that he foresaw fighting alongside them in this battle, & now, they were searching for a young man who was granted the ability to run at superspeed. Richard shook his head, gazing up at the nearby Star Labs facility in Central City. The connection between this new recruit & the Flash was clear. Richard knew what was happening. Everything still led to the Flash & the things he had done to time.

"So THAT'S why I'm a vegetarian," Logan finally finished.

Victor rolled his eyes. "Interesting story, little guy. Tell it again, why don't you?"

Logan smiled smugly, pointing a finger at Victor. "That was sarcasm, wasn't it? I caught it that time."

Victor shook his head, turning to Richard. He was pulling into the empty parking lot of the facility when Victor spoke. "This kid's name is Wally?"

Richard nodded. "Wally West. According to Jaime's Scarab, he should be here."

Victor looked up at the building. "My father used to work at Star Labs," he mentioned nonchalantly.

Richard glanced over at Victor. Victor never talked about his father. This was new information to Richard. "Oh," Richard said. "What was he like?"

Victor shrugged. "I've met better men," he said, casually dissing his father.

Richard nodded softly, understanding what it was like to hate a father, or in Richard's case, a father figure. He didn't know the details of Victor's hatred towards his father, but he knew that whatever caused a rift in their relationship, it was definitely justified in Victor's pained eyes. That's all that mattered; cutting your losses with someone who brings nothing but pain in your life.

Richard parked the car & shut off the ignition. The boys stepped out of the car & made their way to the entrance of the Star Labs. The area was a mess. It seemed as though whatever the Dominators had planned to do when reaching Central City, they had already accomplished it. They caused damage across the front of the property, leaving burning scorches of flames across the parking lot, & a few small holes inside of the Star Labs sign. It resembled the damage done from heat vision.

Logan let out a whistle. "Still think our guy is alive?" he asked.

Richard bit his lip. He was afraid of what the answer might be. "Let's go."

The trio made their way inside of the science facility, surveying the area for any signs of life. In the lobby, there was nobody. Not a peep nor a sound aside from the tiny clattering of their footsteps echoed across the eerily quiet lobby. Richard recalled the Cortex hub that the Flash had his friends operating out of a few weeks ago. If anything, the kid would be there.

Richard made his way down the hallway that he remembered going down when he first found Barry Allen. Victor & Logan followed behind him, each walking cautiously towards the light that shone down from the end of the hall. After a few moments, Richard, Logan, & Victor each made their way to the open space of the Cortex.

Victor & Logan each spun around, gazing upon the advanced technology that they were suddenly immersed by. "Wow, this is rad," Logan called out.

Victor nodded. "Yeah, this is...something." He turned to Richard. "So, this is where the Flash works?"

Richard nodded. "Yeah, this is where I tracked him down to."