Chapter XXII: Sacrifice

Richard rolled to the side, avoiding the swing of the sword down where he had stood. Richard's roll led him to a stance, allowing him to quickly glance back at his foe. The hooded Robin lunged at Richard once more, swinging his large blade at the former Boy Wonder. Richard continued to dodge, stepping back & to the side. Eventually, the young Robin managed to get a hit, slicing a cut across Richard's forearm as he defended himself. Richard hissed as he grasped his wound.

The Robin's breathing was slow & steady as he held his sword firmly in his hands, walking in a small circle around Richard. "You cannot leave, Grayson," called the boy. "You cannot leave."

Richard shook his head in disbelief. "What the hell is this?" he asked. "You...you can't be Robin. You're...not Robin."

Robin swung his sword down at the ground, sending sparks of metal out into the air. "I have every right to wear this damn suit, Grayson! More than you ever did!" The young Robin's chest now rose heavily as his breathing grew louder with rage. "I am the son of Batman. The TRUE son of Batman! His blood courses in my veins, Grayson. I am more worthy of this cowl than you ever will be." Robin brought his sword up once more, pointing it at Richard. "So step down."

Richard shook his head. "This isn't real," he said softly, to no one in particular. "Barbara...she isn't going to marry me. My father...my parents are both dead, still. Bruce is missing. He isn't my boss. He...he...he hates me, & now he's gone." Richard looked up at the hooded Robin. "None of this is real, kid, & neither are you!"

Suddenly, the young Boy Wonder leaped into the air &, with his sword pointed forward, shot his arm outward. He shoved his blade straight into Richard's shoulder, causing him to cry out in agony. Robin's feet connected with Richard's chest, allowing him to leap off from Richard's body, like a jumping pad. Richard fell to the ground with a loud thud that echoed across the entire floor of the building, along with his pained howls. Richard reached for his stabbed arm, but the sword sent sharp excruciating sensations across his body. He hissed as he tried to grasp the hilt of the sword. "Bruce!" he cried out. "Help!"

Robin walked over to Richard's body & reached for the blade's hilt. "Daddy can't help you now, Grayson." With that, Robin yanked the sword out of Richard's shoulder, causing blood to spray out of the wound & ooze over his skin & tattered shirt. Richard let out a roar of pain, then brought his arm over to his wound to keep it from bleeding. The blood still seeped through his fingers. Richard gasped & pressed harder, feeling a sense of panic rush over him. Would he bleed out here & now? Would he die in this...this...hellish dream?

Suddenly, just as he rose his arms up to swing his sword down, a red arrow shot through the Robin's arm, causing him to drop his sword. The young boy cursed to himself, startling Richard, but giving him enough time to evade anymore attacks from the hooded boy. Richard rolled to the side, still clutching his arm, & ran towards the elevator, where he saw a familiar archer in red leather with his bow strung up, alongside a young woman in a black cloak & pale skin. Richard stumbled as he ran to his friends & latched himself onto the cloaked girl. "Raven! Roy!"

Raven held Richard him her arms, holding up close. "Oh my god, Dick," she breathed.

Roy Harper shot another arrow out then turned to Richard. "Hey, Dick, we missed you," he said casually.

Richard glanced around the elevator frantically. He reached up to touch Roy's shoulder. "Roy, is this real?"

Roy shrugged Richard's hand off of his shoulder & strung up his bow once more, releasing an arrow out into the distance. "Yes, Dick, this is real," he grunted.

Rachel reached over Richard's shoulder & pressed the Level 1 button on the elevator pad. After a few moments, the door began closing shut, but not before the young hooded Robin made his way towards the elevator, & was almost able to shove his sword through the doors. The elevator doors shut just in time, however, giving the three a moment to breathe.