Chapter XI: The Sightings

Richard flipped the pancake over on the pan, allowing it to sizzle & fully fry as he began shaking the bacon on the second pan that he left sitting on his stove. He watched as the bacon grease bubbled, hissing in the heat. He then continued to flip the pancake a few more times, then added it to the large mound of pancakes he had already created. He set the plate of pancakes aside, then grabbed a clean plate & placed a paper towel over the plate. He took the bacon & shook them a few times, then carefully slid the piece of bacon onto the paper towel covered plate. He watched as the paper towel soaked up the bacon grease. He refused to gain extra carbs when he could easily avoid it with techniques such as this one.

Richard took the two plates & placed them on the center of a small kitchen table that he had set up by the even smaller kitchen. He watched as Cheyenne's eyes brightened with excitement & pure joy. "Wow," Cheyenne gasped, "I don't remember the last time I had pancakes."

Richard laughed softly. "Whenever that was, I know they weren't as good as mine," he remarked with a grin.

Richard & Cheyenne began picking out pancakes & bits of bacon from the central plates, then began devouring the breakfast he had just cooked. Richard reached for a bottle of syrup, & began pouring the syrup on the pancakes. He then handed the bottle to Cheyenne, who served herself more syrup than she should've.

The two had managed to make good use of the time that they had spent together. Richard was slowly coming to terms with the revelation about the altered timeline. After a while, Richard came to the conclusion that he had, in fact, finally gotten a new life. Even more than that; he had gotten the life he had always wanted. From the moment he stepped out of Old Gotham, escaping Nolan Drake's tyranny, a new life was all that he had wanted, & the first thing he did to prepare for this was search for Cheyenne. After all these years, after losing her the first time, Richard had finally found Cheyenne again. He should just be grateful.

Of course, the two had to get used to living together. The two slept in the same bed, but managed to restrain themselves from having sex. Richard & Cheyenne weren't lovers, but, people who loved each other. Richard knew that the two weren't in love with one another, because...that's something that requires complete & utter certainty. Richard knew what it felt like to be in love, but, this was different. Richard loved Cheyenne, loved her personality, & her company. Cheyenne loved Richard, him walking around shirtless, & his cooking. That was good enough.

What she didn't like, however, was him leaving at late hours of the night. Of course, Cheyenne had no reason to believe he was doing anything wrong. Despite them not being an official couple, he knew it wasn't her place to think he was over at a girl's house sleeping with someone else. He wasn't. Richard was out, fighting crime as Nightwing. He had told Cheyenne about his vigilante life as Nightwing, but despite his confidence in himself to always come back home, Cheyenne feared that he, one night, might not come back home. Richard swore that he'd never let that happen.

Of course, Richard swore a lot of things to Cheyenne. For example, the dinner table they sat on, was something he swore he'd buy for Cheyenne & him. Of course, he really hadn't expected that he'd ever need one. Richard didn't have company often, & even then, he most certainly never cooked for anyone other than himself. He normally just ate on his couch alone. He kept to himself in Blüdhaven, but now, he wasn't alone. Richard had Cheyenne.

Richard had also swore to Cheyenne that he'd install a nice flat screen television in the living room. What he hadn't expected to see was the coverage that came on the news that morning.

Richard turned to the television at the sound of "Central City". His interest had peaked even more when the Blüdhaven reporter began to speak. "The government officials that are currently at the scene of this mysterious object that crashed in downtown Central City late last night was merely a DOD aircraft on a routine training operation."